Basic Questions on Differences between XP and W7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Escalader, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Thought I'd try a thread for asking and answering basic questions on the main differences between Windows 7 and XP.

Q1: Is it true there is no HOSTS file in Windows 7? If so, how do those who use it to create 127 loop-back blocks achieve that?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    its been awhile.
    hope you are well.

Windows 7 does have a hosts file in the same place it has always been.
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

as for differences between xp and 7 i think its best to give the links below a read
    features new to windows vista
    features removed from windows vista
    features new to windows 7
    features removed from windows 7

one big feature that appeared with vista is the desktop window manager and the other technologies related to it. if the graphics driver crashes in older versions of windows you would have to do a hard reboot. with windows vista and above the driver is reset and in around 2seconds you are back up and running.

there is alot more under the hood stuff but the links above provide the main new features.
    im gonna logoff now I will answer anymore questions you have tomorrow.

if you want to test windows 7 and have eiether a virtual machine installed such as virtualbox or imaging software to image your current OS and wish to try windows 7 go here

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. Escalader

Hello lodore:

Thanks, I'm fine been here all the time but in the Firewall part of the forest.

Thanks about the HOSTS file and thanks for the links!

For my set up I'm not trying to "upgrade" my Dell failed the test! So I'm keeping it as is on XP and will share the router with the W7_64bit notebook.

My hope is that other members here will post questions on the differences they either worry about or encounter betwixt and between as you have re the driver recovery feature. I like the sound of that!

4. samy

samy Registered Member

5. Escalader

6. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

When using 7, everything feels refined; all the smooth and slick animations - windows glide in and out in front of your face, etc, as with Vista, which I first experienced summer of 2008. However, I feel as if the animations slow down my productivity. Turning off the effects results in laggy window redrawing. Maybe the animations are covering up for the slowness of the underlying OS?

7. Escalader

Maybe? How can we KNOW?

Speed is a function of your H/W of course so what are you running there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.