Basic question about using a router with LnS

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by jag1967, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Hi

I've just got me self a router so can go wireless with my laptop, as well as my main pc being hardwired to the router. The SMC router has nat/spi, hacker logs etc.

I've seen the sticky about configuring LnS with a router, but a more basic question: do I now need to use the internet filtering on LnS? And therefore only use the application filtering? If I do this, I would be assuming I have properly set up the h/w router correctly

Or if do use the internet filtering, is this now a secondary line of defence if a hacker gets past the h/w firewall? And is it necessary/worth doing?

thanks for your time again
    jag

2. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

Yes it is worth doing...

For the SPI if your hardware firewall has that do it on that instead of Look 'n' Stop.

The Hardware firewall works well against attacks that sometimes might kick a software firewall off and render it useless. The software firewall works well for applications that you want to accept or deny but also consider this.

Look 'n' Stop prob. has more power over settting up specific rules than any hardware firewall I have seen yet.

3. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Thanks MK

I'm running LnS as suggested with my router and the LnS log has gone so quiet, that it's almost eerie, compared with the usual activity. From the router syslog, seems like it's doing the job

Now that the external threats are being dealt with, after reading the excellent firewalltester.com, is there more I could do about potential internal threats with respect to configuring the router?
    The application filtering on LnS is running as it should be, but I'm uncertain how to go about configuring the router. The smc router has some predefined ports you can allow/block which is straightforward, and the more complicated choices about tcp/udp port config. Is this individual port config worth doing via the router aswell, in addition to LnS application filtering? And if so, any good resources to read up on for configuring h/w firewalls/routers for this

From my limited knowledge, the router strengths are from defending against external threats, but limited in comparison to defending against internal threats, when compared to s/w f/w like LnS?

Sorry for the continuous questions...on a steep learning curve :doubt:

regards
    jag

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.