Basic home server PC out of a netbook?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Halffull, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

I need to cheap and light use home server machine, a netbook is powerful enough to perform the functions that I need it to do.

However, I've noticed that after a few hours my machine powers down for some reason, luckily I have windows 7 on it so it doesn't seem to lose any data, and just resumes from where it left off.

I'm trying to narrow down why this is happening, I made sure that windows update doesn't automatically install updates (which forces restart sometimes), I've also changed the power management options so that the hard drive etc do not automatically get turned off. Are there any other configurations that I need to change so that it doesn't automatically turn off

I don't think it's an overheating issue, the netbook uses 36% CPU usage consistently throughout, and I checked after 4-5 hours of non-stop use, and it doesn't appear hot either. So I can't figure out why it would be shutting itself down. ??

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

any more clues in event viewer logs?

3. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

Sorry about the late reply Cudni, I managed to figure it out, the netbook had power management mode set to "balanced" which meant that the harddrive would suspend after a while, which ultimately meant that the whole computer will end up shutting down eventually as well.

I've configured it so that it's on "full performance mode" and removed all power saving options to suspend the device or hang the hard drive.

The great thing is that this little netbook which I had no use for runs perfectly well as a little home server.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thanks for posting the solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.