Basic BackUp From a Dummy

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rugmankc, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugmankc

rugmankc Registered Member

That's Basic BackUp "Question" from a Dummy,

Besides ASZ, I backup my laptop using the Linux CD to an external Lacie hard drive, through windows to same hard drive, and through a Lacie hard drive as a bootable usb hard drive (set up per instructions on this forum).

The backup through windows without booting the Lacie first is at least three to four times faster than any other method. I am pretty sure if I backup using the Linux CD I have restore the same way. But, if I backup through the regular windows environment (the fastest way) and my laptop crashes and the Linux CD doesn't work anymore, can I use the bootable Lacie to restore the regular windows backup to the laptop.

I was able to test restore one file from a regular windows backup using the bootable Lacie, but not sure that equates to a full restore.

All these methods of backup are working great and the one time I had to restore using the Linux CD (before I made the Lacie bootable) was flawless.

ATI 11 has been great.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

You should make a FULL backup of ALL drives .Be sure you 'validate it' though. Them simulate a restore of your "My computer"only until you get to the "proceed" button several times & just use the defaults 'till you get 'used to it'. Should try it on another HD but I chanced it on my laptop & got away with it. Good luck with it but I'd wait for further tips from people who know a lot more than I do. Good luck!:D

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Also, search for any post by groverH and check out the links below his signature -- lots fo useful info for newbies there.

4. rugmankc

Thanks for the replies, but I don't think I asked the question very well.

I have a Laptop and an External Lacie Hard Drive that I store all my backups on. I made the Lacie a Bootable USB Hard Drive per MudCrab's instructions. All works great no matter which method of backup I use and no restore problems.

My preferred method of backup is to open Acronis from my laptop's desktop and perform the backup to the Lacie. It is fastest. This means I did not plug in and turn the Lacie on before I started the laptop, hence it did not boot into Acronis. I only plug in the Lacie when I do backups, otherwise it is not connected.

The other method, and I may not even need to do this, is plug in and turn on the Lacie prior to turning on the laptop. That way it boots right into Acronis and I then do the backup. It takes a lot longer, like when I use the Linux CD.

My question is if I make a backup to the Lacie by just bringing up Acronis from the desktop, can I restore it by pluging in and turning on the Lacie prior to laptop turn on which will have the laptop boot right into Acronis. When I do this, Acronis looks and acts like it does when booting with the Linux CD. As I said on the first post, I think if you backup with the Linux CD you have to resore with it. So, I am not sure if that also applies to back up and restore using the Lacie as a bootable USB hard drive.

Sorry for all the confusion,

Ken

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Ken:

Yes, a backup made from Windows can be restored by the recovery version of TI. Both versions of the TI program produce the same .tib file format. It does not matter if the recovery version is running from a CD, a USB flash drive, or a USB hard disk, or from an internal hard disk for that matter.

6. rugmankc

Thanks KOlo,

That way I can backup with the faster windows method and restore thru whichever recovery method is available. Don't see any reason to backup with the slower CD and USB Hard Drive methods.

Ken

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

rugmankc, the CD or bootable HDD\flash method is usual only available, because of corrupted and non bootable operating system, or issue with some third part software which prevent Windows from proper work. Usually, the backups made from CD are faster than backups from Windows because of clean process tree (there are some programs which use memory by default in Windows, but our CD is based on Linux, so these programs are not started).

Anyway, you may choose the most convenient method for backups on your own.

Detailed information about Acronis True Image Home product can be found in User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.