BartPE & SafeMedia

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DrewOrenyo, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewOrenyo

DrewOrenyo Registered Member

I'm sorry if but I have not idea what the BartPE & SafeMedia plugin is or what it is for. I downloaded the latest build for TI Home 2009. Do I have to down load the BartPE & SafeMedia plugin and install it as well?

I made bootable CD's for my 3 machines without installing it - then again I have not had to use it either.

I know I need to create new bootable CD's - I assume I should test it (which the last time I didn't). Also should I have the Accronis Startup Recovery Manager activated. Again sorry but what does that do for me that the bootable media doesn't or can't do.

Thanks for any help with this.

2. fungus

fungus Registered Member

You do not need to download the BartPE plugin or the SafeMedia plugin.

BartPE is an alternate way to run a boot CD. It has many interesting features including the ability to boot a computer and run True Image (if you also install the Acronis Bart plugin on the Bart CD). You DON'T need this alternate method, just use the CD that you can easily make after you install TI on your computer, which is not a BartPE disc.

The SafeMode plugin is a plugin the the Acronis CD that you will make (not for the Bart cd). Downloading this SafeMode plugin, before you create the CD boot disc, will allow you to have two modes of Acronis boot on your boot CD. I installed the Safe mode but my computer cannot boot to the Safe mode on the CD. This doesn't seem to be a problem since the default (full) mode on the CD works just fine. It can see all my internal drives as well as my external firewire drives.

Summary: Don't worry about downloading the plugins but it won't hurt if you do.

As far as the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is concerned, I did not allow it to install because I like life simple. I can startup Acronis if I feel like it. Same for the SafeZone partition or whatever it is called, I refused to allow it to install. I store backups on a second internal hard drive, and also on external Firewire drives.

Fungus

3. DrewOrenyo

DrewOrenyo Registered Member

I wanted to thank you for the information. I can get around a PC/Laptop just fine - but since Windows - I am a bit more timid. Especially when it deals with image backup.

Hope I never ever need to use it - but glad I have it should I need to.

One additional question - if my hard drive crashes - is there the abitility to format it (low level) if need be?

If my drive crashes more then likely I will have to get a new one. If I return my laptop to HP - they would put a new one in (have the extended warranty) and I assume load what was originally there. With Acronis - I would be able to do a full restore (operating system/boot sector and all) prior to the crash so all my drivers, programs. data, ect.

Again thanks,
    Drew

4. retread

retread Registered Member

Drew: If you return your laptop to HP, they will format a new drive and install only the OS and additionally install their proprietary recovery (hidden) partition before returning it. All data will be lost on the old drive... they will not save it or restore it. You have to save your data to another disk before you send the bad one back. This happened to me, but that was a couple of years ago, but I think it is still their practice. Check with HP support and see if I am not right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.