BartPE or Winbuilder

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by The Nodder, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I must admit I'm totally confused.
    First, I got a new ASUS P5K Pro mobo, I use 2 SATA hard drives. Both are partitioned, this is to have various categories of files in their own partition and so I know where to find them. I also install my OS in C:, then the programs in partition D:. This keeps the OS size to a "small" size and so is easily managed.

anyway, I have a drive caddy, it's a new type not long released, it does not have a tray. All I do is open the door, slide out the drive, slide in the other drive, lock the door and that's it, all of 12 seconds, it's SATA.
    why you ask. My main OS is Vista. In the other drive I use XP home for a program that will not work correctly in Vista.

I have True Image 10 and 11, and Disk Director 10.
    The recovery CDs for them will not run, I think it may be because they are Linux.
    They will not startup. All I get is :- "Starting Acronis Loader . . . " and that's it.
    I contacted ASUS support, I was told to contact the programs suport.

WinPE recovery CDs work no problem, I have one for another program, and for yet another program the program people gave me a PE CD ( I don't know if its bartPE or WinPE) that also works.

I have contacted Acronis support for some help. I read in another forum that a member got an add from Acronis that enabled him to get the CD working.

I eventually found the TI 11 add-on last evening, I also got the BartPE program download, and the Winbuilder program.
    From Mustangs site I got the DiskDirector full download and the guide.
    You have a good site there with good add-ons.

At last, this is my question. Which do I use, BartPE or Winbuilder.
    I find Bart easier to use. I really only need a recovery CD for True Image 11 & Disk Director 10, my other programs do not need one.
    Do I need one for XP and another for Vista. ? Or will one work in both.

I assume I can put TI & DD on one CD, will there be a problem getting both to work, or would a CD for each be better.

Sorry for all the questions folks.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. mustang

mustang Developer

The choice between BartPE and WinBuilder should be based on the source you have available. BartPE need a Windows XP SP2 install disk. WinBuilder can use either a Vista install DVD or the downloaded WAIK.

Both BartPE and WinBuilder will allow you to use TI 11.0 and DD 10.0 on the same disk. Both will work on Vista and Win XP systems.

3. The Nodder

Thanks for your reply.
    I like BartPe, it's easier for a novice such as I.

4. The Nodder

I got as far as placing all the files etc in BCD in windows.
    I can't get it to write to a CD, I don't recall the exact problem but I think it won't burn, that there is not a CD burner in my system. I tried it in both XP and Vista..
    Eventually I burned the files in the wxphome folder to a CD, but of course it won't boot. At least SP2 is integrated in it.

I'll keep working on it.

Then the next bit is to find what are the drivers to use in it, hard drives etc.

================================

I've read that pressing F11 after this appears "Starting Acronis Loader . . . " should give 3 options,
    nope, nothing, it just sits there looking stoopit !!!!!!
    All I can do is take out the Cd and reboot.

Yesterday I tried to make recovery Floppy disks, yes, 16 of them.

The first lot I got the disks mixed up, and in the second lot a disk had a bad sector that stopped the install, I did format them.
    I gave up on that option.

IMO, TI 11 is the best image making program out there as is Disk Director at managing drives..
    TI 11 has more options that I find are brilliant, e.g., the user can set the writing speed when making an option and
    setting the verify option so that it automatically verifies when the image is written.
    Not many programs have to option of wiping the partition or drive, I really like this option.

Support, please, can you help me with my problem, I did make a report a couple of weeks ago and again after a reply to my other post I was asked to make a support query.
    I have other programs that use a recovery CD and all but another works no problem. They use a PE system for their CDs.

As I posted, I have tried floppies and doing a bartPE CD, but I'm having difficulties, I doubt if I'll successfully make one.

5. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

You have to have something like Nero or Roxio to burn an iso. You can't do it simply with Windows.

Others might suggest alternatives.

I would try VistaPE. It really is far simpler to do than BartPE and works perfectly on either XP or Vista systems.

6. Kimberlito

Kimberlito Registered Member

PEbuilder from BartPE package should burn iso to a CD (and make it bootable) without problems, there is no need for any other burning software. Make sure you use StarBurn and not CD-Record:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2404/03292008224154nn6.png

If you setup your own "output" folder other than the default one then you need to enable "Output path absolute" in options:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8400/03292008224600yg4.png

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/865/03292008224525zv2.png

You will find more help on BartPE forums:

http://www.911cd.net/forums/

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5239/03292008230855yr1.png

7. The Nodder

earthling and kimberlito,
    Good on you both, thanks lots, had a visit to forums, excellent they are.

Anyway, I was using Mustangs guide on making a CD with SP2 on it, I obviously was doing something wrong as I didn't have an ISO image. One thing was I only had a an unzipped SP2 that used. But, I just went to MS and got the file as per mustangs guide.

I think another problem I had was that I could not get the burner in the BCD folder to work.

Thanks guys, you are very helpfull.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  8. The Nodder

Success, well, partly a success.
    T11 was a success, but not DDirector.
    So, I used the Acronis T11 bartPe msi file.
    for the DDirector I used mustangs setup, but at the final stage when I was trying to build it, it gave errors, no such directory or something like that, I do know that the folder it was looking for in the PE builder DD_10 full folder was not there, it wanted files but Program files was there. I kept at it but I had to remove DD from the plugins folder. Yes, I did read the DDirector readme and ran the *.cmd file that got the files it required
    At least I can restore images in "DOS", I can make them in Windows.

Is there a way I can burn the slipstreamed XP & SP2 to a CD so that I can use it to install XP, that is, without BartPE or any of it's files or anything. ?
    I've just had a try with PE builder but no joy.
    I'm all for having a bash with SP3, it may work, but then it probably won't, but we don't know 'till we try it.

thanks folks

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  9. The Nodder

TI 11 works good, but I get an error that a path can't be found when I start to build DD 10 from REATOGO.
    It is looking for I386\files\*.*, of course there aren't any in there.
    I've never seen a files folder in I386.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello The Nodder,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. The Nodder

Marat,

#398320 This was for TI 11 & DD10 I got a response but it was only a link to download a file to burn a True Image 11 8053 Recovery Media to CD.

#1411488 This is for Disk Director 10 build 2160. I requested a link to download a file to burn onto CD to have DD10 work outside windows. The Recovery Media that is built into the programs will not work in my P5K Pro mobo.
    I offered to pay for a recovery Media that will work, I will abide with that if required.
    I need to access my C: partition outside windows to wipe it then restore my OS with TI 11

thanks.
    Ian

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello The Nodder,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify if you downloaded the .iso image and burned it? Did it help?

Please notice that you do not need to delete the partition before preforming a restore. Acronis True Image will delete the partition you choose to restore over automatically.

We have contacted the appropriate person, and you should receive a reply soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.