BartPE definition

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by twl845, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi all, Please excuse my ignorance. I am reading the IFW manual in possible preparation for buying soon. I need to know what the explanation of what BartPE is so I can read the instructions with some knowledge of what it is. Thanks in advance. :)

2. jonyjoe101

jonyjoe101 Registered Member

bartpe is a 3rd party windows xp recovery bootcd or livecd. In order to make one you need a windows xp installation cd. The bartpe program (free download) will use the i386 files in the xp install cd to make you a bartpe cd.
    I mainly use my bartpe to run chkdsk. When the bartpe boots your computer it acts similar to a linux livecd but it will have windows type interface. One of the good things about bartpe is that you can add plugins, which allow bartpe to do many things including plugins to image your hard drive.
    From my understanding, bartpe will only work on windows xp systems.

3. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Just to add a few other notes in case you want to pursue the subject in greater depth, BartPE is a tool that allows users to create their own Windows "preinstallation environment" (WinPE or PE1) by using a Windows XP (or Server 2003) installation disc as its source. All the details can be found on its originator's web site at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

To build a "preinstallation environment" for more recent Windows releases (Vista/PE2 or Win7/PE3), Microsoft offers several version of its own so-called Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) that includes ImageX and other tools for creating and "customizing" Windows PE images. There are also numerous other WinPE projects (LiveXP, Win7PE, etc.) based on the "WinBuilder" tool that you can read about at http://reboot.pro/

4. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I have a BartPE and have used it a few times. Recently, I had to use it to recover my Windows 7 machine, using the Macrium Reflect plugin, because my Macrium Reflect recovery disk would not work.

I don't believe that BartPE is supported any longer and the freeware version of this product is now called UBCD4win. They are both great products and I always want to have one around.

Read up on them both and you will like them. You do, however, have to have the time required to make the disk, which as previously mentioned, requires the Windows XP disk.

Good luck!

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks to all. As I said, this will be part of a Image For Windows (IFW) installation and as I begin to read the installation manual it mentions creating an Image For DOS recovery boot media or a BartPE and I needed to know what it was so I can understand what I'm reading. :)

6. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

It automatically makes for you the IFD Recovery Disk and IFL Recovery Disk. You don't need to do anything. After installing the software it makes these two Recovery Disks for you. So, you don't need BartPE plugins.

To make a IFW (WinPE) Recovery Disk, you need to download WAIK from Microsoft site and TBWinPE plugins from TeraByte site.

To make WinRE (Windows 7) Recovery Environment, you need to download TBWinRE plugins from TeraByte site.

Best regards,

7. timcan

timcan Registered Member

@twl845,
    I see that you already have a win pe boot disk, according to your signature you have active@.It's one of the best pe around imo. You can run the IFW plugin from this disk. hope this helps.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Alladin & tincan - Thanks for that info. I'm beginning to understand. It will help as I wade through the manual. :)

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You are welcome! ;)

Very true!

To do this, he needs to put the following three files in a separate sub-directory, and put this in the WinPE of Active@, to run the IFW:

1. imagew.exe
    2. imagew.ini
    3. ifw.ini

The above are in the TeraByte directory.

Best regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.