Bart PE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tabvla, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

During the TI9 installation Acronis gives the user the option to install TI into the "Bart PE plug-in".

Questions:

1. Do Forum members recommend choosing the Bart PE plug-in installation option?

2. What is the practical implication of doing this on the way TI9 works?

3. Must Bart PE be pre-installed or does Acronis install Bart PE if this option is chosen during the TI9 installation?

4. Are there any issues or precautions that are relevant?

5. Is there a link to good info for Bart PE or perhaps a User Guide?

Thanks in advance.

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Can not answer your specific questions concerning TI and Barts PE but here is a link with plenty of info. about the later http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I also cannot answer some of your specific questions on building BartPE/ TI with the lastest build.

BartPE gives you a second bootable restore environment loaded from a CD. Its main advantage is that is a Windows environment and therefore has a better device driver pool. Most people who have trouble with USB external devices because of inadequate drivers under the Linux restore environment have good luck with BartPE. If you have a device that requires a special driver such as a network card, disk controller card, etc you can also include them into your BartPE build. The TI recovery disk requires anything like that to be provided by Acronis.

I made a BartPE disk using the TI8 plugin and found it (by perception, not measured) to be relatively slow to load and it didn't offer me any advantage over the TI recovery disk. I image to a second internal drive or to a drive on another PC over my network, not USB external drives.

When you read at the site give about BartPE it seems a bit intimidating but once you get going it is not as complicated as it seems.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Tabvla,

As an alternative, I recommend using Reatogo's BartPE+XPE with Mustang's latest plugin. Good illustrated instructions available on Reatogo's website and Mustang's download contains a useful helpfile for his plugin. All necessary links are contained in this previous thread titled <TI 9 plugin available for BartPE is available> along with some additional advice from Mustang and other users.

Regards

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Thanks Menorcaman, seekforever and ThunderZ.

A new but related question...

The only Windows CD's that I have availble - for any of my systems - are the so-called "Emergency Repair" disks that the OEM includes with the system.

As these are not full Windows CD's can they be used for "slipstreaming" to create an XPSP2 environment - something which I understand is a prerequisite for BartPE.

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Depending on the Brand of PC you have the rescue disks should have the full Windows vers. on them. Unfortunately, depending on the PC manufacturer, it is bundled with a ton of other stuff. Do`t know if you can extract the Windows install from it or not. Sorry, one of those things I have never been asked, had to do, or thought of trying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.