BART PE Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hgratt, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

It appears that in order to make a BART PE CD, one must have an XP CD or the installation files on one's HDD.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 which has a "reinstallation cd" for XP SP1. Would this suffice to make the PE CD?

Also, I have an IBM R40 Thinkpad with no CD, but a reintallation partition. How would I make the PE CD in this case.

Thanks,
    Harvey
    Edit/Delete Message

2. dld

dld Registered Member

It is my experience that the Dell reinstallation disk will not work, especially a Dell reinstallation disk that does not have SP2. You will end up with files missing. You would have to begin by slipstreaming SP2 with your disk. I've never been successful in doing that.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Reinstallation disks etc, won't work. You might check and see if you have an I386 area in your windows folders, as that might work. But otherwise you need a windows CD with SP2. You can work from CD, but it is quicker to copy it to disk.

Pete

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Take a look at XP-ISO-BUILDER http://www.winfuture.de/xpisobuilder3_en. It may be able to do what you want.

5. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

I may try it. It appears to have a "convert recovery - cd's" feature. I may try to make a copy of my 8300 recovery CD and proceed from there.

Thanks,
    Harvey

6. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

My thinkpad appears to have an i386 folder (at first I thought this was created by the SP2 patch, but I believe it came with the machine originally).

Anyway, am I correct in assuming that the PE builder will use the i386 folder (SP1) and that I can then add the appropriate TI plugin? In other words all that I need from the BART PE CD is the XP environment and the incorporated XP USB2 drivers, etc.?

Thanks,
    Harvey

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No. If it is SP1 then you will have to slipstream SP2 into XP before you can use it. Do a google on Slipstream and SP2 and you can find instructions.

8. thomasjk

Well SP1 will work but SP2 is better. Use Autostreamer for slipstreaming http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562.

9. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

I'm missing something here. I thought the point of the BART PE CD was to allow for a TI plugin whereby I could get the XP drivers needed for a USB2 external drive ( assuming my current configuration would only work at USB1 speeds ).

Thus, the only requirement (I thought) was to be able to boot up into that XP environment and then be able to run TI to do the restore at USB2 speeds. What difference would it make if the BART PE CD was only SP1 (or not even SP1)? The only thing it has to do is allow TI to operate with the faster USB2 drivers.

What have I misunderstood?

Thanks,
    Harvey

10. thomasjk

SP1 is the minimum you need to build a CD. There are some fixes in SP2 that affect large drive support that may make a difference.

11. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

Thanks. My external drive is 160GB (it holds the images). So I can see where SP2 may be needed.

Thanks for the clarification.
    Harvey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.