Banned member posts removed?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Mele20, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

When a member here is banned are all their posts and the threads they started removed? I'm trying to find past posts by a banned member and getting gobbledegook on the searches. When I go to their page and click on the last post they made, I get a thread that has no post by the banned person. Is there something wrong with my searching method or has all evidence of this former member been removed (except for their member page)?

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi Mele :)
    Well that all depends on why they were banned from this forum. You are most probably looking for a banned members posts that have been removed from public display and that is why when you are doing a search they are not displaying

Regards

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, when I do a search using the person's user name here, I get results...a long list of threads, but none of them contain posts by this person. If I click on the person's last post from their member page, I get taken to a specific spot in a thread but there is no post and indication that the post was removed from public view.

I am not objecting to the removal of the posts. If that was done, I'm sure it was for a good reason. But I do think search should turn up something like "this member's posts have been removed from public view". Or, at the very least, there should be a mod's marker in each thread where posts were removed. It is too confusing otherwise.

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

If the posts were removed.. you are asking for the impossible. The fact that you did not find what you where looking for even as you described above.. or even if you used a word subject hunt..give me a link to any forum on the Internet that would give a member an indication or marker as you just suggested.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Referring to just the technical aspects in question here, we are basically using normal features in vBulletin with a few minor modifications. As such, we don't control the functionality at a level that would allow us to make such a change, even though I agree with you that what you are describing would be nice.

Simply put, when posts are removed from public view, what you are seeing in search results is "just the way it works".

Since this is about as deep into forum software functionality and forum management decisions as we will discuss publicly, I'm closing this thread now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.