Banks IP address no longer responding

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by SpikeyB, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

My browser home page is set to a simple html file which contains links to my favourite sites.

My internet banking link was set to the banks IP address rather than the domain address.

Recently, clicking the link takes me to a page stating

"This domain has been registered, but is not currently being used for any web services."
    I originally obtained the IP address by pinging the banks domain address. Pinging the banks address still gives me the same IP address but it doesn't work now.

Does anyone know what has happened to change things?

Thanks.​

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Can you still get to the bank by typing in the address manually? So, your using the IP address rather than the www? I could try either to see if it works here.

What browser are you using and has it been updated lately since trying the link?

3. SpikeyB

Hi innerpeace

Thanks for replying. I can get to the bank using www. The behaviour occurs using firefox or IE.

I am guessing it's a change the bank has made.

Originally I obtained the banks IP by pinging the banks domain address and used this on my home page link. Although pinging now gets the same IP it doesn't work anymore.

If I ping www.google.co.uk, I get reply from 208.69.34.230. If I type that IP into the browser, I'll get to the Google page. (Just tried it and something unexpected, to me, happened).

The replying IP gets me to Google English. Typing google.co.uk gets me to Google UK.

I guess that difference between which Google site I just got to, is the real phenomenon I am trying to understand.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I would say that is the problem but I will let someone more qualified answer.

As far as the Google thing goes. I pinged www.google.co.uk and the address I got is http://209.85.165.103/ and when I enter it into FF, I get Google English too. I'm in the US. I also get slightly different addresses every time I ping that address. I guess it's all part of the google block of IPs. Your browser or cookies might have something to do with the domain name working correctly. I will also let someone answer that is more qualified.

I would say that big sites have more than one IP for many reasons. They can make some available in case of maintenance and or ddos attacks. My ISP was under a ddos just today and was able to recover due to reasons that are waaay above my understanding.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

My bank, which is one of the (possibly the?) largest in Canada, uses maybe 20 or 30 different servers to handle internet log-in, because of the heavy traffic flow. So it would be quite usual to get a different IP each time, which is why I use their URL instead.

And on top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if the servers each had dynamic IP's (if a DNS can handle that, although since routing is from their front page, it shouldn't be much of a problem) to increase security.

6. SpikeyB

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps you are right. My bank has changed it's IP address. I notice my bank no longer replys to a ping so I can't find the IP address the way I used to.

Still not sure about the google thing though. If I ping google.co.uk, presumably my DNS tells me the IP address it has for google.co.uk is 208.69.34.230.

So how can typing the IP address or the domain address get me to different sites? If I type google.co.uk into my browser, surely my DNS will tell me to go to 208.69.34.230 so I should get to the same site as if I typed 208.69.34.230 into my browser. But I don't.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

That's because of configuration options at the webserver end. (It's probably a mod_rewrite rule based upon how a person first enters the webserver, meaning which address or domain name they used to reach the server in the first place.)

Many websites aren't meant to be browsed by using the IP address directly. They are set up to be accessed by domain name. You can actually configure many different websites (different domain names) at a single IP address. And conversely, you can load balance one website (one domain name using one IP address) across many physical servers. There are many reasons for doing this, such as balancing heavy load across many servers; using single large servers to provide hosting for many low activity domains, and so on.

Another reason for managing browsing by domain name versus IP address is cookie dependencies. For example, vBulletin needs to know exactly what domain it is being used on in order to keep all the permanent and session related data straight. Browsing a vBulletin forum by IP address can lead to unexpected results, possible timeouts and logouts, errors in "unread thread" markers, and other session mgmt problems.

Because of those kinds of issues, Wilders has been setup to not allow browsing by IP address. It will be converted to the domain name on each click made on this forum.

http://65.175.38.194

That's the IP address for wilderssecurity.com, but you can't maintain the IP address in the address bar after you reach this site. It'll always convert to www.wilderssecurity.com.

When multiple domains are served at a single IP address, one of them must be the primary - the one whose webroot is accessed when reached via IP address browsing. That appears to be the case for that Google site. Google English must be the default for that IP address, but, if you reach that server using the Google UK site name, it provides a different page from a different webroot.

Frankly, I never browse any complex websites by IP address. I use the domain name the site was meant to be accessed by, just in case there might be cookie related issues like I mentioned on vBulletin forums. Of course, another reason is what's mentioned above, websites sometimes move or load balance. By hardcoding an IP address, you may not reach the right place if they change their server or domain configuration.

8. SpikeyB

Thank you very much for that excellent answer.

I really like it when I learn something new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.