Balloon Alerts Not Working

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Has anyone else found that Balloon alerts are not working? I have the box checked, but have never seen an alert.

Attached Files:

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Daisey,

Same thing happened here. Then I remembered I had disabled system balloon tips a long time ago with Tweak UI (Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP). I reset it with Tweak UI and the balloon alerts worked.

Nick

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Interesting, Nick. ;) I do have TweakUI, but I don't remember disabling baloon alerts. I looked through the menu and didn't see anything that applies. Where within Tweak did you find this setting?

I was actually thinking some other setting on one of my security apps is causing the conflict. Maybe Zone Alarm?

4. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

It's the first item when you highlight "Taskbar and Start Menu".

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Found it. Thanks! :) But that's apparently not the problem...

Attached Files:

6. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

Do you have the PG GUI running? I think the icon must be open in your tray in order for the balloon alerts to appear. I could be wrong. The balloons do work for me. P.s who is that in your avatar? looks a bit like Tara Reid.

7. Dazed_and_Confused

Yes. :)

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Did you reboot after reenabling that feature?

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Jason, I never disabled the feature. It was already enabled as shown in the pic.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have the same problem, I did however disable balloon alerts in Windows not in PG. Is this a bug or what? If something happens I only see a blinking tray icon. :rolleyes:

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Daisey. Do you have any other utility with this kind of capability (like SafeXP or XP-Antispy). :)

12. Dazed_and_Confused

Not that I am aware of. Still no baloon alerts. :'(

13. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi daisey :)
    The best way is to use the registry which in this case is straight forward.
    [Start] [Run] [Regedit]Registry Key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
    Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: EnableBalloonTips
    Setting for Value Data: [0 = Balloon Tips Disabled / 1 = Balloon Tips Enabled]
    Exit Registry and Reboot
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/notification_area_balloon_tips.htm

14. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, Nick! :) I didn't have that registry key, so I added it. I'll let you know how it works.

Edit: Well, that didn't appear to do it. PG blocked an app from installing a driver/service, and I didn't see a balloon alert. But thanks for trying!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  15. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Just to make sure, disabling Balloon alerts in Windows should not disable it in PG right? And if it did, I think this should be fixed, because PG should be able to popup alerts on its own. ;)

16. frogfoot

frogfoot Registered Member

Same problem here, baloon tips no longer working with PG. Other programs produce alerts with no problem (eg security centre in XP)
    Baloon alerts are enabled in PG and in Tweekui. Using PG 3.3b1
    Tom

17. Mover

Mover Registered Member

I'm pretty sure I have the same problem as well (not at my pc at the moment to verify). Instead of getting a ballon warning when running a new app, I get some sort of Windows error message saying something about "a handle not being found" but no ballon message.

18. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

jfi, Balloon alerts working here on XP-SP2 HE, 3.3b1.

19. Mover

Mover Registered Member

I found that having the option 'Auto Block new and changed applications' gives me the error shown below. Are you guys getting this as well as opposed to a balloon alert ?

Attached Files:

• PG.JPG
      PG.JPG
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
  20. frogfoot

I assume this is normal behavior for PG. I have never used 'autoblock'. However I have always got the 'invalid handle' error if I decline to execute a new program when prompted with the usual 'permit/deny' dialogue box.
    Tom

21. nisby79

nisby79 Registered Member

for baloon alerts try to disable it with tweakui and to renable it. i try this and it work for 3.200

22. frogfoot

Good call! Worked here as well :D
    Tom

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Unfortunately, Microsoft says that disabling balloon alerts in TweakUI or in the registry (as they recommend) will disable ALL balloon alerts. Microsoft states there is NO way to enable balloon alerts for some applications and not for others. It is an all or nothing situation.

Given this, I strongly believe DiamondCS should use some other method of alerting. I always immediately do the MS registry fix on a new computer. Otherwise I am driven nuts right off the bat with all the constant balloons popping up from all sorts of applications. I DO want to see PG alerts but NO others. I have so many problems with PG because I cannot see the alerts and keep my taskbar transparent so it not easy to see the color change in PG and I have any throbbing, wigglingly, etc. turned off also. I need PG to pop up an alert in the middle of the screen like it does for anything that wants out and it doesn't have permanent instructions for.
    I do appreciate that those popups are in the middle of my screen. Bit Defender pops up the same alerts but down in the right hand corner where I can't read what it says. If I had balloon alerts turned on, those are the bottom where you can't read easily so I wouldn't want balloon alerts even if they could be enabled just for PG. I am seriously considering not installing PG on this new computer for this reason. I really need popups (when PG blocks something) in the middle of the screen.

24. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Many programs popup the alerts in the bottom right, if we create popups that is where they will likely go. Some are suitable for the middle of the screen, some are not.

Why can't you see the bottom area of your screen o_O You have to understand that people do like them down there, and that your screen or otherwise is not everyones situation. If you can't see the bottom then it should be fixed :D the clock is there.. all the program icons.. etc

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm sorry Gavin. That wasn't clear at all. :( I can see the right hand bottom of my screen. My problem is that with Bit Defender (and with KIS 2006 beta on a virtual PC) the font in the popup is tiny. I have to bend forward and get my nose right up on the screen to read either of the two I mentioned. BD's is slightly easier to read than KIS. I have asked both vendors to consider giving a choice or something for a larger font for those of us with big flat panel screens with high resolutions and aging eyes that have difficulty with small print. What I like about ProcessGuard's popups in the middle of the screen is primarily that the font is large enough that I can read it easily. Plus, I personally, don't like anything popping up in the bottom corner of the screen and since I am left handed and my left eye is dominant and reads better than the right one (even with correction), I wouldn't mind as much if the popup was in the LEFT corner. It is totally out of place for me in the right corner. Middle of the screen works for both left and right handed folks. But I am sure a lot of folks who are right handed (and that is the great majority) would object to middle of the screen.

So, right bottom corner I can live with if the font is not tiny. One reason I decided against KIS 2006 and went with BD instead was because the font for not just the bottom right alert popups but the GUI itself is quite tiny on my screen. My eyes would burn and water trying to read it. I am not the only one as there is a thread at the Kaspersky forums asking for larger fonts for the GUI. I don't think vendors realize how important the GUI is when choosing a product. Some do of course like BoClean. (I mentioned in a thread that the flickering systray icon could trigger migraine in susceptible folks and that it was bothering me. Nancy responded and said it would be fixed as an Accessibility issue with the next build and it was with a choice to turn it off given. I was impressed). Many vendors though don't think much about the GUI and how easy or difficult it is to use. I like PG's GUI with the one exception of the balloon popups that I would use if I could just turn yours on and all others off. I don't understand why Microsoft can't make Windows so that could happen. I think I will ask Microsoft as perhaps it is a matter of not enough users expressing a desire for this ability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.