Ballmer: Linux is MS's main competitor and not Apple.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

How did I "twist it in your favor to make it look so", exactly? Did I Photoshop my earlier image? Or are you trying to say the image was taken from BSD instead? Windows' driver update settings are right in the Control Panel for anyone to see, all I did was take a screenshot of it clearly showing you how it's possible to automatically update drivers. It really doesn't get any simpler than that.

But thanks for proving that you have no interest in facts whatsoever, just plain old BS.

Ubuntu is one out of how many hundreds of distros out there? Your argument makes as much sense as me saying that just because you're apparently living in some sort of reality distortion field that protects whatever it is that passes as your brain from the debilitating effects of facts and logic, it means the rest of the human race does too. Even in Ubuntu this isn't perfect; before Lucid I had to manually install newer versions of the kernel just to get my B43 wireless card to work. Thankfully the required kernel versions were included in Lucid by default and made that unnecessary.

You mean the cash payouts were just a figment of your deluded imagination, and there isn't actually somewhere I can sign up for it? Given your tendency to spew nonsensical BS, I can't say I didn't see that coming, but geez... that still really sucks.

Or is there still hope? Can I apply for payouts from Mark Shuttleworth instead like you do, to go to online forums and act like a mindless slave worshipping Ubuntu, spittle frothing at my mouth as I partake fervently in diatribes, logical fallacies, and anti-Windows FUD, religiously denouncing everything and anything that so much as dares to utter a squeak of disagreement, even Linux users themselves? That'd be swell too. :D

I'd say probably when you admitted it yourself earlier in this thread.

So how hard you attack something should be proportional to how much you think it's a legitimate threat? Compared to your usual load of tripe, that at least sounds borderline reasonable, and Ballmer has openly claimed that Linux is Microsoft's main competitor (the topic of this thread). So why not?

The telling question is how much the Linux fanboys - or, at least on Wilders, fanboy, singular because there's only one that suffers from the typical syndrome of lack-of-rational-thinkingitis - feel threatened by Windows. Judging from the desperation, the level of FUD, ad hominem attacks, logical fallacies, and the reality distortion fields and BS generators turned up to maximum strength, I wouldn't be surprised if he's regularly wetting his pants at the mere mention of Windows.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Linuxforall, it's becoming more and more apparent by day when I read your posts that you are generally a very closed-minded person. You like to post what you believe which is cool, but when others do they are wrong. This begs the question, why do you come to an open and public forum for people to express their opinions, teach each other, learn from each other, when you simply aren't showing an interest in doing so?

My apologies for the thread hijack, but I see you annoying many regulars on this forum that come here to learn and actually SHARE their opinion, and god bless them, admit when they are wrong. Since that's a hard thing to do these days, you gotta respect the people that do.

If a moderator feels this is out-of-line, feel free to remove it, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, mearly mirror what I think a lot of members may be feeling here. I personally come here to learn, and when requested, teach. Not read ramblings by people unwilling to do either.

3. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I'm not? I'm guessing you are though, right?
    Ridiculous indeed, I give up.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

That sums up how I feel too. I couldn't say it better myself. I've given Linux a thought, read up on it, even tried a few distros apart from Ubuntu. I liked a few things and I felt uncomfortable/faced issues with some others. I even have an online acquaintance who is well proficient with Linux generally speaking that I talk to on IM. He uses both Linux and Windows with a fair view on both platforms.

Yet, all that aside, I went back to Windows. Not because it's better than the other - it's because I'm used to it. That's just it.

After all, to each his own, right? You use what works for you. So, why is there even a need to argue? You may prefer one over the other but there's no need to call names and abuse the other party simply because the other party's views differ from ours.

If this is considered as thread hijacking, I apologize. All I want is for all parties here to calm/cool down, go back to the main topic and discuss as gentlemen would do...no offense intended to anyone.

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Regarding drivers: Yes, there are some driver updates offered by Windows Update but they were never automatically delivered and applied - AFAIR, I had to go to the Windowsupdates site and chose "additional Updates" or whatever it's called to install them (and to find out that they even existed).

Yes, that's definitely true. The biggest problem is the migration to Linux. Until a few months ago, Windows XP (with LUA + SRP and SuRun, of course :D ) was installed on the computer used by my wife and my daughter. They had no problem using it (although my wife is a computer-illiterate), and my daughter was responsible for keeping the system up-to-date. But when I checked their system from time to time I found that not all apps were properly updated with security patches. I had installed Secunia PSI for them, and my daughter noticed the update messages but didn't apply the updates in every case. After a while I got sick of the situation, made a backup on an external disk, installed Ubuntu for them and copied their Thunderbird and Firefox profiles and thieir documents etc. to their /home directories - and they are happy! They are using Thunderbird and Firefox as before, they have their OpenOffice as before (and don't care - probably in contrast to Eice - if they are using version 3.20, 3.21 or 3.3), my daughter is absolutely happy with Pidgin, and Skype works as it should. And my wife's favorite Windows games run flawlessly under Wine, one of them even better than under Windows before. To cut a long story short: A success story - but would they have been able to do it themselves? Of course not.

Running a user-friiendly Linux distro like Ubuntu is no major problem for an average user with some basic guidance (which you also need for Windows). However, there are two problems:

1. Installing Ubuntu is not really complicated at all. But doing it the proper way (i.e. creating a separate home partition) is - a newbie couldn't do that. (But hey - moving "Documents and Settings" to a separate partition is an impossibility for 99.9% of all Windows users, too. Under Linux it's easy to do it once you know how.)
    2. The biggest problem: Migrating all documents, emails, bookmarks and the likes to Linux is nothing a newbie would be able to (easily) manage. They need help by someone familiar with Linux - and you are right that too few knowledgeable people exist.

Probably true again. And one has to agree that Linux is certainly not the appropriate platform for, e.g., hardcore gamers or for people who need special applications where no real Linux alternative exists. Or people who have (more or less exotic) hardware not supported by Linux. I myself run Win XP in a VM as I'm heavily dependent on one software for which I couldn't find an appropriate Linux one. And unfortunately I still have an old scanner which I bought many years ago before I migrated to Linux and which is not supported.

But that doesn't mean that I will go back to Windows. And I'm sure that many people would think likewise if they had had the helping hand of someone who supported them migrating their system to Linux.

6. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Perhaps a Linux proponent wishing to further "debate" the merits of Linux and/or faults of Windows should start a new thread and/or poll.
    I understand the A vs B rule to be in place for antiviruses (not OSes), the amount of misinformation in this thread is distasteful, and we've also managed to veer really off-topic here.

7. subset

subset Registered Member

OpenSUSE creates separate partitions automatically during the installation.

Cheers

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Yes, that used to be the case in XP. Not anymore, though.

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

@ tlu,

After reading your post I suspect I'm missing something. In my experience, all the Update Manager does is show an icon on the system tray telling me that updates are available, but it doesn't do anything else until I manually initiate the update process myself. I don't like that, so I perform updates silently via a root cronjob instead.

Is it possible to tell the Update Manager in Ubuntu to behave silently like Windows Update? Thanks.

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Administration > Software sources > Updates tab.

There a few options under Automatic updates :)

Cheers, Nick

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I've tried that before; it didn't work, but that was a few versions ago.

I'll give it another shot. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.