Ballmer: Linux Infringes on Microsoft Intellectual Property

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tgell, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

2. Demoras

Demoras Registered Member

Well, that's messed up. I hope Microsoft doesn't screw up Linux or anything. Microsoft isn't worthy of Linux.

3. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

And Microsoft Windows infringes on Apple intellectual property. It's how the world works for everyone except lawyers... :rolleyes:

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

And remember, its alleged patent infringement as it has not been taken to any court of law period.

So MS probably used bully techniques to force Novell into the partnership.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

no, ms owns FAT and some other stuff too, they would win in court.

it's how the software industry works - patent portfolios. ms can't go after linux because they have fewer patents then the big linux companies like IBM. all the novell/ms deal means is their customers can use each others software with out the other company sueing them

big companies can't go after each other, it would be the end for them.

patent portfolios just stop small developers from sueing big companies if the big company infinges on someone's patent, because the big comapny will then say "well you are using one of our patents in another part of your software, so we'll sue you back"

there's probably more to it, but that's how i see it.

6. dog

dog Guest

In the end this will all wash out. ;) This is just preditory Microsoft showing their true face again, and Novell being complete fools. I don't by Novells open letter to the issue at all, well no one does, their just scrambling from the fallout. Like mono, SuSE will fall by the wayside - they have a big issue with the Samba team, GPLv3 if not already in breach of GPLv2, will either lead to Microsoft backing out (GPLv3 implications) or SuSE being in breach of the GPL and not being able to redistribute GPL code, which includes the kernel.

Here's a couple of interesting articles:

Groklaw : Novell Speaks - Updated

Groklaw : SFLC's Bradley M. Kuhn's Letter to the FOSS Development Community Regarding Microsoft's Patent Promise

Groklaw : Novell to Samba: We're Not Terminating MS Agreement

Groklaw : Getting Cute with the GPL

--- I'm still looking for a seperate article where Eben Moglen discusses strategies of thrawting Microsofts 'plans' and scuttling the Novell deal. --- I can't locate it at the moment, I don't remember which site I had read the story on :doubt: I'll insert it here, if I find it ;)
    --- EDIT: Found the link thanks to Lucas' post below --- http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...T-LINUX.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C5-technologyNews-3

Patent Infringement - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2006
  7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

8. dog

dog Guest

Thanks Lucas ;) :) ... While that isn't the exact article I read, it is basically the same. :cool: ... and led me to the Reuters article I had read -- http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...T-LINUX.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-C5-technologyNews-3

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2006
  9. lucas1985

Novell looks like a fool if this is true :D
    Microsoft again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. NGRhodes

And remember the patent has'nt been granted in the EU.

11. dog

dog Guest

If this latest fiasco (bullsh!t) doesn't show what M$ is REALLY about and if it doesn't put off, if not scare current users ... I don't know what will. The current events plus the events over then last year or so, should give most users the reason to rebel and ditch M$. It's time to slay the beast. ;) :cool:

12. lucas1985

Perhaps financing SCO isn´t enough :D
    But Linux is not yet ready for prime time, not in my opinion. It needs more driver support "out of the box" and still more work towards the friendliness with the user

13. dog

dog Guest

I would've agreed a year ago, but today most distros have very good support (Minus SuSE for other reasons mentioned in this thread) and are just as user friendly as M$ (No question Linux isn't M$, it's different, but it is just as user friendly IMO now a days).

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Winux is on its way !!! ;)

15. dog

dog Guest

That's the only way to make Windows better ... but M$ couldn't swallow the GPL, of course they could use the communities ideas and write new code to skirt around it - which is what they'd likely do - they certainly aren't the hotbed of innovation - if you can't do it, steal it from others and try to call it your own. :blink: :ninja:

16. lucas1985

I have to disagree ;)
    For example, the drivers of one of the two main VGAs suppliers(ATI) are a PITA for all but the skilled users. Sometimes a driver needs a library and if you aren´t very knowledgable this can cause you a strong headache :D
    How about technical support? You probably have a neighbor/friend that knows something about Windows. If you have Linux installed, the web support can be the only solution, if you are lucky enough to have Internet connection

But Linux is better and closer to Joe each day :D

17. dog

dog Guest

AMD aquistion of ATI, I think, will change that in short order, while I can't disagree that currently 'some' things can be more tricky, most distros have a plf solution that will work without issue (ATI Blob). Actually I think web support, thru wiki's, forums, IRC far outweigh any other support, whether paid or the next door neighbour, the bonus is the enduser will actually learn something IMO - thru trial and error, rather than the lame support most tech support usually provide. ;) While it can be initially difficult, who should be the master?; the PC or the guy/gal in the chair? While options can be limited when code remains close sourced and the company doesn't provide solutions for *nix, pressure will change that, whether thru word (written letters etc.), the wallet or (r)evolution. :)

18. lucas1985

Hope this will happen in the near future

Well said, but most users prefer to call you instead of learn something minimal. In my country, boxes with Linux peinstalled are
    automatically replaced with pirate copies of Windows which are very cheap(5 USD for instance)

Popular pressure rocks ;)

19. dog

dog Guest

As an example currently I have to choose between Compiz and ATI 3D accel. support (all my PCs have ATI Video Cards), to me the benefits of Compiz outweigh my need for ATI 3D accel., when/if I feel the need to play a game like Neverball or whatever, I'll uninstall Compiz and install/activate the ATI support needed (which isn't too hard regardless of user level). I think the biggest issue for new linux users, that haven't shed proprietary software completely is where they can obtain the 'plf' solutions, which isn't too difficult, a quick google will lead anyone to what they need to do. ;) :cool:

I myself am still re-ripping my music into flac, which up until now I have ripped to mp3.

20. dog

dog Guest

AMD have hinted as much [I don't have a link handy - My apologies]
    While I can't condone that, I can certainly understand it --- the price of Windows is oppressive no matter the country
    I certainly does. :D ~Power to the People~ :cool:

21. dog

dog Guest

22. dog

dog Guest

Back on topic ... M$ made a statement in response to Novells open letter ...
    Full Artcile

23. lucas1985

I want to know the M$ shareholders´ opinion on these attacks against Linux and the terrible reputation that they generate
    Balmer must be very afraid :D :rolleyes:
    Could this be a message towards shareholders now that Gates is leaving the company? A message that guarantees the continuity of the current business model?

OT on/
    You have a hard time ahead :D Tagging, creating the directory structure, scanning the booklet, etc. if you are very anal about this like me :D
    Don´t forget to try WavPack
    Sadly, Windows has an edge over Linux in the ripping arena. EAC + REACT are better than cdparanoia + front-ends
    Thanks. Nice to meet you too ;) This is my first experience in a English forum. I´ve been reading Wilders for a long time but only now I´ve decided to register. I don´t trust my English skills very much :oops:
    OT off/

24. NGRhodes

"Our agreement with Microsoft is in no way an acknowledgment that Linux infringes upon any Microsoft intellectual property. To claim otherwise is to further sow fear, uncertainty and doubt, and does not offer a fair basis for competition."

Yes, I said this earlier in the thread, that it was only an alleged patent infringement (and then in the USA only).

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Perspective: Microsoft has OS patents; Linux has none

Article

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.