Baidu PC Faster beta

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I just came across this from Baidu who have just realsed the beta of version of their free antivirus.

It is based on Kingsoft PC Doctor. But is being updated more frequently than Kingsoft's product.

You can get it here: http://security.baidu.co.th/en/
    You can also get it bundled with the free version of Avira http://www.avira.com/en/baidu-pc-faster

I will try it out tonight. It looks interesting since it's been a while since Kingsoft released an update to PC Doctor.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. roger_m

Version 2.0 is mention a lot on the web. But the version I have which was only released today is 1.18.0.21

4. roger_m

Version 3 beta was released yesterday.

It includes an antivirus component called Cloud Security - with no options for configuring real time protection, and no options related Avira. With the claim of "Online protection against every new threat" on their webpage, it would see, that it does have real time protection.

The optimization features have been extended, e.g. it now includes internet optimization and some checks for bad system settings which it can fix.

It now includes an app store which quite a few programs to download, including antivirus software such as Avast.

You can download it for here: http://security.baidu.co.th/en/

5. anon

anon Registered Member

6. roger_m

I install the new version yesterday manually as I was not yet picked up by the automatic update. I don't see much a difference in use between this and the previous version. In did not find anything more to speed up. But on a different system the result may be different. There is a game booster feature now, but I don't use my PC for gaming so have no tried it.

One plus however, is that the system tray icon has been changed to no longer be the same as Baidu Antivirus.

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Baidu PC Faster 3.4.0.11 Beta
    http://security.baidu.co.th/en/

Release Note:
    http://security.baidu.co.th/en/log.php

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  8. Jaspion

Jaspion Registered Member

What is LogReporter.exe doing sending reports every 10 minutes although PCFaster is just sitting in the background doing nothing?

9. anon

anon Registered Member

Baidu PC Faster Beta 3.4.0.14
    http://security.baidu.co.th/en/

Release Note
    http://security.baidu.co.th/en/log.php

10. roger_m

Baidu PC Faster Beta Version: 3.6.0.33146

Release Note:
    This version needs to be downloaded manually as it not yet picked up as an updated via PC Faster.

One nice new feature which isn't listed in the change log is that PC Faster now automatically checks for software updates via the App Store. I installed PC Faster on a client's computer a few days ago, and got a popup message telling me about software updates I could download for about 4 of the programs they had installed.

11. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Does it include Baidu Antivirus? Is the registry cleaner safe? This program seems a lot like IOBit Advanced SystemCare Free.

12. roger_m

It does include Baidu Antivirus as an on demand scanner only.

The registry cleaner is very safe. By default some sections (e.g. Invalid COM Modules) of the registry aren't scanned. But even when setting it scan to all sections, it has not given me even a single false positive on multiple computers.

PC Faster is a lot better in my opinion, and the fact that is completely free and you don't have to pay to access all of the features is nice too.

I install PC Faster on every computer I work on.

13. Brandonn2010

Thank you. Have you noticed any performance gains from it? And I assume you can use Baidu Antivirus with it just fine?

14. roger_m

Yes - it does a few tweaks to improve system performance along with doing a disk cleanup and removing unneeded startup items.[/QUOTE]

Yes they both work fine together. I actually just uninstalled Baidu Antivirus for other reasons, but will keep using PC Faster.

15. Brandonn2010

I just installed it on my Mom's laptop. I like how it tells how much boot time each service and application adds, and it recommends which to disable. It also recommended various tweaks to Windows that I hope were okay. I was really surprised it gives recommendations on Windows services to disable. That could be dangerous (of course a number of them I had already disabled with Black Viper's Guide).

Just noticed this programs seems VERY similar to ToolWiz Care:

http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-care/

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  16. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

Toolwiz Care is much safer than this one. :D

17. roger_m

I highly doubt that. Last time I tested it which was some time ago the registry cleaner had problems with false positives which I highly doubt will have been fixed. PC Faster does not have the same issue.

18. Brandonn2010

So what again sets this program apart from other system optimization programs? Aren't those programs generally regarded as snake oil? What makes this program any better than the numerous other free system optimization programs like:

- Advanced Systemcare Free (besides the MBAM thing)
    - Wise Care 365 Free
    - Toolwiz Cleaner
    - Iolo System Mechanic Free
    - Anvisoft Cloud System Booster
    - Glary Utilities
    etc.

19. roger_m

The registry cleaner has no issues with false positives, and it makes fairly sensible suggestions about what startup items to remove.

By some people they are, but they can increase system performance,

[What makes this program any better than the numerous other free system optimization programs like:[/QUOTE]
    I answered that above.

20. roger_m

The current version stop Windows Update from working. When you start Windows Update - it says it is disabled. You can enable it temporarily by enabling Windows Update, but it still doesn't work properly and will be disabled again next time you reboot.

At first I thought this was an issues with some of the tweak done by PC Faster, but after reverting the changes made Windows Update still would not work. Microsoft's PC Fix-It solution for Windows Update found nothing to fix, and tweaking.com's Windows Update repair also did not fix the problem.

After doing some more testing I have found that it is problem with one of the services for PC Faster, I've just disabled all Baidu services via services.msc and after rebooting Windows Update appears to be working fine again.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next release as I really like PC Faster.

21. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Disable "replace windows update with baidu" in settings and all is fine.

22. roger_m

Thanks so much for that I never knew that option was there. You are a lifesaver :D

It had been causing me no end of trouble trying to get Windows update actually working properly. It's good to know that I can keep installing PC Faster on machines, and know that Windows Update will still work, as the built in Windows Update function does not find all available updates.

23. roger_m

v3.7.1.39149 has been released now.

My copy of PC Faster just updated to the new version, but there is no change log on the website yet.

This is what has changed from what I can see:
    • More thorough junk cleaning.
    • FasterNow - terminates unneeded processes to free RAM. It includes a floating window which shows free RAM and internet upload and download speed. The floating window can be hidden.
    • Browser Protection - to protect against changes to your home page or default browser.

Also PC Faster now has its own seperate website: www.pcfaster.com

24. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

Already tested both this one and Toolwiz Care. Toolwiz Care is much safer than this one.

25. roger_m

Well I don't think it can be safer, as PC Faster makes no harmful changes to system, and the registry cleaner give no false positives.

I will try it tonight - however I'm sure it will be less safe than PC Faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.