Bad start

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AdrianM, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdrianM

AdrianM Registered Member

Hi, just installed TI8 today to clone a HD. Now my PC is junk! I ran the clone wizard and was just thinking to myself how slick it all looked - seeing both HDs side-by side... just one last click when the program said it had to reboot to complete the operation & it'd all be done...

...But then it rebooted into safe mode, as it does every time now. In safe mode TI8 reports that it can't see any HDs at all(!) and a (failed) attempt to uninstall fully gave the same error.

Now my machiine throws up an error saying KRNL386.EXE not found when booting. The furthest I can get is safe mode, so without CD or internet access I'm stuffed.

Bit of an obvious "in your face" sort of failure, any advice while I'm waiting for tech support?

2. AdrianM

Can anyone suggest how how I can run "AcronisReport" on the PC which now only runs in safe mode with no access to internet or cd rom? At 1.9mb I can't run it from a floppy.

Incidently, the CD rom is set as the first boot device but it fails to boot
    with the original media so I can't boot from that, neither can I get
    windows to recognise the cd rom in safe mode. I tried issuing win /d:m from
    command mode but then I only get as far as the error saying KRNL386.EXE not
    found. Then I'm back to the F8 screen.

The PC is a much cherished Fujitsu Siemens Multitainer with Win98. It was
    working perfectly before I tried using this software. The PC is no longer
    supported by the manufacturer and I have no restore discs for it - which was
    another reason for purchasing the software - many drivers are special i.e.
    IR keyboard ...and recently having learned a little of PCs reaslied the importance of having a backup of the system. Ironically this move has crippled my machine.

3. AdrianM

- Just managed to borrow a floppy drive and install it in the machine (which doesn't have a FDD!) So I have been able to make a boot disk to run the report generator. Some progress at least.

4. AdrianM

While I'm having this nice little chat with myself here, I'm wondering out loud if anyone is at all suprised that the outcome of using this product might result in rendering a PC unusable?

Four years of stuffing all sorts of software onto this PC has resulted in nothing more than a full HD. The first time I buy and install something to protect all my valuable stuff it leaves it crippled as soon as I use it.

I realise I might be seen as causing trouble here but sitting here for a couple of days waiting for some sort of answer not knowing how serious this is going to be is playing heavily on my mind. To say that I wish I hadn't bought this product right now is the mildest way I can put it.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Adrian

Sorry you are having a chat with yourself, and I am afraid I can't offer any real advice. I have not seen any issue with TI 8, but I am running on a fairly new Pentium 4 with lots of memory, and all has been well.

I know many of these new programs play deeply in the operating system and can sometimes not play well together. I also take the precaution of trying new software in a manner that allows easy recovery.

I know it is to late for this, but I would always have a copy of anything I couldn't replace before trying new software.

Hopefully someone from Acronis will be able to help you. The delay in help may be holiday related. Thanksgiving weekend here in the US.

Best wishes

Pete

6. Thomas_001

Thomas_001 Guest

If your system still boots up and you can access the boot hard disk, you may want to copy the registry files first (just to have a backup). The registry in Windos 98 is located in the user.dat, system.dat and you may also want to back up the hwinfo.dat. Here the commands to do that
    -----
    c:
    cd \windows
    attrib -h *.dat
    attrib -h user.*
    attrib -h system.*
    attrib -h hwinfo.*
    mkdir bkup
    copy *.dat bkup
    ----
    After you did that, you should check if you have older files of the system.dat and user.dat files (Norton for example creates backups during installation). They normally have the name but a different extension.
    With
    ----
    dir user.*
    dir system.*
    ----
    you can check if there are any backups. If you are lucky and find something, replace the current ones with the older versions.
    ----
    copy user.<whatever you found> user.dat
    copy system.<whatever you found> system.dat
    ----

BEFORE you do all this, you may want to check the following files for any remainders of that software you used to try to take a backup:
    c:\config\sys
    c:\autoexec.bat
    c:\windows\winstart.bat
    Simply remove everything that points to a true image program... and restart BEFORE you try to restore the registry...

Good luck - I hope this helped a little bit.

And - just a tip from my side: Do not waste the time and try it again....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.