Bad Sector - Which File?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jaytodd, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaytodd

jaytodd Registered Member

I have a question about identifying a file on a bad sector.

My system:
    Sony Vaio Desktop, Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz, 2GB Ram, XP Media Center SP2
    Internal Hard Disks (2): Western Digital Caviar 200 GB
    Master:.... MBR, 6 GB Size (as reported by TI10)
    ...............Partition C: 39 GB Size, 14.3 GB in use for system and programs
    ...............Partition D: 141 GB Size, 14.2 GB in use for data files
    Slave:.......Partition E: 186 GB Size, 59.4 GB in use for data files
    External Hard Disk: Seagate 200 GB, NTFS, USB2 on motherboard port
    ...............Used for data Backups and TI10 Images
    External Hard Disk: Seagate 300 GB, NTFS, USB2 on motherboard port
    ...............Used for video files and editing

I am using Acronis TI10 to make a complete image of my master hard disk.

I have done the imaging process three times with the following results:

1st Try) Used TI10 in Windows to image complete master hard disk:
    ............“Failed to Read” sectors 17,758,568 and 17,759,304

2nd Try) Used TI10 from its boot disk to image complete master hard disk:
    ............“Failed to Read” sectors 17,758,573 and 17,759,311

3rd Try) Used TI10 from its boot disk to make images of each partition of the master hard disk:
    ............ MBR: No errors
    ............ Partition C: “Failed to Read” sectors 17,758,573 and 17,759,311
    ............ Partition D: No errors

I’m assuming that the difference in the bad sector numbers between the TI10 Windows and TI10 Boot programs is because they count sectors differently.

With each of the “Failed to Read” errors I selected “Retry” approximately 20 times before choosing “Ignore” and the imaging processes completed and verified in each case without further errors.

I download and ran Western Digital’s diagnostic program and it reports a failure of the drive. So I am going to replace that drive with a new one and restore one of the images above to the new drive. The problem is that one (or possibly two) of the files in the image that will be restored to the “C” partition has imbedded errors from the defective sectors. The “C” partition contains only system and program files so those errors may be causing the occasional random lock-up problems I now have with the computer.

After the new hard drive is installed and restored I want to replace the bad file with a known good copy of the file from another source. But in order to do that I need to know which file to replace.

So my question is: How can I determine which file resides on the bad sectors that TI10 has identified?

Thank you for any help you can give me on this question or perhaps suggest a different approach.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Sectors are not numbered differently

Just means that there is a region of bad sectors, and not all might be detected on each pass.

At best, sectors were replaced with the spare sectors on the drive. If this happens often, not a good sign.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi Jaytodd,

Windows have an effective tool to repair systems files.
    Run the command SFC /SCANNOW and have your installation CD to hand.

Xpilot

4. mareke

mareke Registered Member

Spinrite is a pretty good program for repairing hard disks and retrieving information from them. I've not used it to repair a hard drive but I've got it to check my drives and I was impressed with what it can do. There's a fair chance it will repair your bad sectors and restore any data in them long enough for you to make use of the data.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  5. jaytodd

jaytodd Registered Member

Thank you, Howard, Xpilot, and mareke, for your responses.
    I like the idea of comparing the files to flush out the bad file. That just might do the trick if the mounted TI10 image reads differently than the existing "C" partition with the bad sectors. I'll mount the image on my slave drive, ("E") and have a go at it.
    The suggestions to use SFC/SCANNOW and SpinRite are also good and I will try them on the existing drive after I have the new replacement drive installed and verified.
    I've done extensive internet searches to find a program that will directly identify a file that uses a given sector. No luck so far. It seems like such a straight-forward utility program that there would be many of them. Maybe its more complex that I realize....
    Anyway, thanks again for your thoughtful and helpful responses.
    JayTodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.