bad News for PcTools AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

From the 8 March 2010, PC Tools will begin phasing out support for all versions of PC Tools AntiVirus. PC Tools AntiVirus will no longer be available for purchase or renewal, and if you’re registered for the Automatic Renewal Service we will not renew your subscription. We will continue to support existing customers with signature updates and customer support until end of March 2011.

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

3. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Symantec?

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Symantec bought PCTools a few years ago.
    Maybe they decided to discontinue the paid version of PCTools av since they already have Norton.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I just wonder why did they buy PC Tools then. :rolleyes:

Paid version will be discontinued and free version will survive, that,s plain stupid. It means free version will become real crap, just my guess.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

In my eyes it already is :D

7. gery

gery Registered Member

isn't it already as crappy as could be? i do not think that here is anything worse than that

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

for one there isnt even windows 7 support and the last version they came out with was last summer.

what about the security suite they have with the AV?

9. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Now watch exactly the same dynamic reversed, with Threatfire.
    Free version pulled,or left to languish,and a new paid version offered.

10. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

@gery
    Be careful not to descend into A vs B in crappyness! :D

I congratulate PC Tools for acknowledging that their paid AV isn't worth anything, especially when the free version is able to be used by commercial users.

Spyware Doctor with AV is free for home use via Google Pack. (I'm not sure about Albania. You might get avast! 5 instead.)

PC Tools Free AV is limited in effectiveness but useful for enterprises who need a client PC AV "just in case".

Anyway I encourage you to think harder ;) . There are a lot worse than PC Tools AV out there.

cheers.

11. CiX

CiX Registered Member

How about Threatfire? o_O

12. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Couldn't have said it better myself, well said. :D

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I really like TF. Hope they keep a free version, and continue to support it.

14. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

Is this the first sign of Symantec running PCTools into the ground? If PCTools would offer a really good free version of SD + AV it would help them A LOT. They need to follow the Alwil/Avira business model. Oh wait, I forgot that Symantec is Symantec.:D

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Now i highly suspect that they will kill all the software by pctools. After all symantec already has all security software of their own that are better than those from pctools.

One exception can be threatfire but i don't think they wil continue just a single product esp one that is mainly free. They wil not even continue it as their advertisement as after all it's not showing symantec branding directly.

16. iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET Registered Member

I'm surprised they did not do this sooner and agree with aigle's comments.

Remember when they bought and killed off Sygate? ;) Still doesn't make much sense to me.

17. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I did think about that... I'm referring to their SONAR, like if TF and SONAR had a connection in tech. by now, but I don't remember the answer to that one. SONAR can still never work like TF and be as user-friendly in its operation.

18. Empath

Empath Registered Member

The PC Tools Symantec purchased was an application from Central Point Software, that was a very popular competitor to the Norton Utilities of that period. It was many years ago, not too long after they purchased the Nortons line of products.

The PC Tools you're talking about isn't related at all to the PC Tools from Central Point that was acquired by Symantec. At that time, Symantec simply bought them out and discontinued them, removing competition for their Norton products.

As far as I know, Symantec has nothing to do with the present day PC Tools organization, unless they still hold a trademark to the name, and are unhappy with the use of the name.

19. ratwing

ratwing Guest

I dont use PCtools product in any event,but are you sure the Symantec buy out of PCTools does not include Threatfire? and the rest of their current product range?

20. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

21. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Thanks, Watasha. It looks like Symantec may be attracted to the name "PC Tools". I wasn't aware that they had also acquired the newer PC Tools. I was aware that they had purchased their primary competitor, also PC Tools, from Central Point in 1990.

22. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    One can ask that question about a LOT of software and hardware companies that Symantec gobbled up and ruined.

23. progress

progress Guest

PcTools products have always been very poor. ThreatFire is bloatware, SpywareDoctor is bloatware² and the AV is rubbish because it doesn't include anti-spyware and anti-rootkit :oops:

24. gery

gery Registered Member

TF isn't that bad really

25. progress

progress Guest

I agree, it's effective but bloatware :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.