Bad modem?????

Discussion in 'hardware' started by chattycathy, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

Can anyone explain this? My sister-in-law's laptop suddenly quit connecting to the internet. She is using a Belkin router with a Westell dsl modem. Everything had been working fine when she shut it down one night and the next day, her laptop wouldn't connect. I went over there and tried to get it to work but I couldn't accomplish anything. I reset the modem,did virus scans, malware, and spyware hoping that was the problem but it wasn't. She purchased a new router, and it won't work either with her Westell modem. But, if she connects the modem straight to the laptop, it works fine. Is it the modem? If so, why does it work without the routero_O Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your time!

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

It connects by ethrenet but not wireless If I am understanding correct.If thats the issue,open up your wireless network on the laptop and make sure the wireless service was not disabled.If its enabled check available wireless networks in your area and it should see your modem or wireless router.If it does not then there is a lose of communication between router and laptop wireless signals.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hey chattycathy,
    Dark Shadow has a good question. Please tell us if your sister-in-law is trying to connect to the Internet via an Ethernet cable or wireless networking. I will be happy to help you; I am a recently-retired networking guy....:)

4. Dark Shadow

We wait as chattyCathy is not to chatty right now.:D

5. chattycathy

She has been connecting wireless but then it quit working out of the blue. That's when she called me and I suggested that she try hooking it up via Ethernet until I get over there and it works this way with no problems. I'm waiting on a "convenient" time for her for me to go over and check it out. I thought I would get some ideas from others before I go. I don't use a router so I don't know that much about them. No, Dark Shadow, that time of the night is one of the rare times I'm not very chatty. :)

6. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Chattycathy,

Could you please find out if your sister-in-law is connecting her Ethernet cable to one of the Belkin router's Ethernet outlets or directly to the cable modem Ethernet output plug. I am trying to determine if the router's integrated Ethernet ports are working properly or not and to see if the router "sees" the cable modem properly.

7. chattycathy

I would ask her but she's not going to understand what I'm talking about. She doesn't understand computers very well. Ok, when I was over there last, I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the router and plugged it in to the Ethernet port on the laptop. Does that tell you anything except, I don't know much about networking? I'm wondering if it is the wireless service disabled. That would explain why the new router didn't work but I will wait and check that myself. From what I've been reading at different web sites, this seems to be common with Windows 7. I appreciate your time and help!

8. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Yes, Chattycathy, there is a good chance that her wireless networking adapter built-in to her laptop is either turned off, configured wrong, or has simply stopped working.

If the wireless adapter is simply turned off, most laptops have either a on/off switch or a button to perform this function.

If the wirless adapter is configured wrong, I can help you with that as well.

I have seen several laptop wireless adapters fail; the hardware itself dies. If this turns out to be the case, you can buy a USB-attached wireless adapter for appx. $40-50 that will restore wireless networking to the laptop.

If you want to PM me, I will send you some personal information so that we can communicate via phone, email, or texting (your preference) to help you solve this problem.

I enjoy this stuff, I am VERY good at it, and it is so easy for me that it's pitiful... :D :thumb:

9. Dark Shadow

My gateway netbooks have the wireless key on\off with the F3 key and i have accidentally had hit the key on a few occasions and turned it off.Hopefully its something that simple.

10. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

And of course, Chattycathy, if you would prefer that we help you here at Wilders via this posting thread, feel free to continue with this option as well. :cool:

11. chattycathy

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm going over today to work on it. I'll check out your suggestions and I'll post the results as soon as I can.

12. chattycathy

Ok. I got it fixed. It needed a new network setup plus malware, virus and spyware scans. Thanks again everyone!!!

13. Dark Shadow

Good work,glad you got it solved.:thumb:

14. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Chattycathy,

One comment: Most Excellent. :thumb:

We are always here when you need us...:)

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Great work everybody helping Cathy. Wilders is a great place for people in need of help.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.