< Backwards or Forwards > 50 years

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by MICRO, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

If you had the opportunity to reverse back or forwards 50 years in time,
    or neither, which would you choose, and why please ?

regards.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been back fifty years and really enjoyed it. And the future is very uncertain in what it will hold. I think I will stay right here and move forward right along with everyone else at a normal pace. I will still get to see the future every morning for the rest of my life. (hopefully quite a while) :D

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I think I'd like to go back to the pioneer days,when life was simple,but then i would like to go forward too,to see all the new technology,cant decide which though :D I'd like to spend a month in each place,then come back to the present,that'd be perfect
    Rita

4. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Go back 50 years and you've got McCarthyism.

So what's changed?

5. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

I'd go back 50. The Mick, The "Say Hey" Kid & The Duke would all be patrolling center field in their primes. Doesn't get any better than that.

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Yeah! Take me back 50 years....a good time for me...I was 20...half-way thro' my National Service in Fayid Egypt and then Korea....just had a 'Dear John' letter from my Girl-friend..but what the Hell....could'nt do anything about it....not really a care in the World.....reasonably innocent with regard to the Ladies....unlike to-day when the young appear to have done everything there is to do by the time they're 15.......With the training I had with HM Armed Forces I was as fit as a Butchers Dog and totally happy with my lot with everything to look forward to (Just as long as someone did'nt shoot me before I finished my Term) unlike the young of to-day who, in my opinion, have had their Childhood stolen from them.......I was, and still am, a happy fulfilled man.....What else can I say?...... :D :D

Cochise, :cool:

7. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

What a terrific reply in just a few short words. Thank you for your service to HM's Armed Forces (and to the rest of the World), Cochise. ;) Bet that "50" went by in the blink of an eye, didn't it? :doubt:

8. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

In a Flash Mate.....never regretted a minute of it.....just sometimes wonder how '50' of the best can go by and still leave you struggling to think what the H+ll you did during that time......and worst of all, why did it pass so fast you never quite got to grips with it......it's probably a good thing that only the good bits pop up from the memory banks.....having said that, I would do exactly the same thing all over again in the blink of an eye without a seconds thought............Good times......Good times.....Good memories.....and to top it off, I find good people here on Wilders just to make it all complete....what more can a Man ask....... :D :-*

9. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

I think I would go back 50 years. I was just a new bride and the 50 year adventure with my true love was just beginning. I would do it all again, even knowing there would be good times and the not so good times. I wouldn't want to go forward 50 years because I don't think the world is going to get better, only worse.

10. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

We live in a very troubled world today. Today's children do not have a chance to daydream. be just children nor do they come to a warm home where mom has fresh bread, hot cookies and a hug waiting. No , I do not think the world is a better place today. :(

11. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I don't want to go back either, I'll take the slow boat to the future, take my chances right here. ;)

I, also, wish kids nowadays could still be kids longer. They don't even know anything about themselves, their true dreams. No time to just daydream, to play (cutting recess out!!?) or to build their self-esteem and character - to just grow up!! All that has been pushed aside for expedience or drugging them for convenience? (Talk about your mixed messageso_O)

Hey, every parent, neighbor and teacher had to put up with or work with "problem" children, I think we were called high energy or difficult AND we had more kids in our classes, not less.

Now, kids are practically having to get regimented in school by two years old!! Forget even letting them be babies?? That is sick strange to me. How will they cope with anything real in their lives? They won't! They will be told what to do or ask to be told - and that is really scary. So, I' m not fast-forwarding 50 years either. :p

Greyfox and Cochise, what great posts!! (Yes, Thanks Cochise!) Makes me happy to know you have many happy, wonderful real memories.

Write them down! Your great+grand kids need to know what real life is about. They should know that there comes good and bad, that they won't fall apart the first time something goes wrong in their lives, that living life as opposed to watching it, makes for so many more precious memories.

Hope they get a chance to make and live their very own!

Marja:cool:

(Remind me not to post after reading Peaches' answers, unless it's only a two word thread!!!) :D :eek:

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Wouldn’t change a thing and here’s why, sometimes in our attempts to sincerely do right, we can really mess things up, because we do not have God’s point of view, we cannot see the whole story despite what our egos tell us; here’s a little story:

Once upon a time there was a great spiritual master who had a student whom he was trying to teach about God. One day the Master said, “Come with me, we’re going on a long journey”. They walked and walked all day and being very tired they came upon an old, worn down hut. An elderly couple lived here and the couple immediately recognized the Master as being close to God. They felt humbled and said, “Great master, we would be honored if you and your pupil would spend the night resting in our home. We have no beds, just straw mats but you may sleep on them and we’ll sleep on the floor”. This couple was obviously very poor, their only possession being a cow that they milked that evening to make cheese for the Master and his student to eat. The next day as they were saying good-by to the couple, the student of the master noticed that this couple’s only possession, the cow, had died over night.

After once again walking all day long they came upon a huge palace, whoever lived here was obviously very wealthy. They knocked on the door an impatient servant came to the door shouting, “What do you want!” The Master replied, “Dear sir, my pupil and I were wondering if the master of this fine palace could possibly spare a little food and a place to sleep overnight?” The servant said, “Well, the lord of this palace usually doesn’t like beggars but I’ll ask anyway.” After a while he returned saying, “Just as I thought, my lordship says Get Lost!” The master replied, “Dear sir, please, we have been walking for two days and are exhausted, could you please explain this to your lordship and ask him one more time?” The servant shouted “I don’t believe this, all right, I try one more time but don’t be surprised if the answer is the same!” The servant returned saying, “I don’t believe it. My lord says, OK, but he’ll only give you any left over food from the evening meal AFTER the dogs are done with it and you have to sleep outside the palace walls in the stable with the animals, and only if you agree to leave tomorrow and quit bothering us.” The master said, “OK, that will be fine.”

The next morning the servant came out to the stable and said, “Ok, time’s up, my lord wants you out of here, now!” The master replied, “OK, and tell your lord that I would like to thank him for his hospitality by repairing a hole in his stable wall that I found last night, just get me some building materials.” The servant returned with some building materials saying, “Ok, my lord likes the fact that he is getting some free labor, go ahead and fix the wall … THEN leave!” So the master did a fine repair on the wall and he and his student started to leave.

The student could not contain himself any more and said to his teacher, “Master, I just have to ask you something, something that is driving me crazy.” The Master replies, “Yes?” The student says, “The night before we stayed at a very loving couples hut. They had very little to give but gave us everything and then God saw fit to take away their only possession, the cow. Last night we stayed at the place of someone who is very wealthy but cares very little for others and then you saw fit to do him a favor and repair his wall for no fee. What is going on?” For the first time in his memory the Master became very stern and said, “Don’t you ever question the ways of God again, for you cannot see all that He sees. That evening as we lay asleep in the poor couples hut, the Angel of Death came for the elderly woman, her natural time on this earth had come to an end but I persuaded the Angel to take the life of the cow in exchange for the woman’s life hereby giving her a few more years of life with her loving husband. And as for the wealthy man, when I discovered the hole in his wall I also discovered a treasure chest full of gold inside the wall. You and I both know that he would have only used that gold for his own selfish purposes. But I have the gift of prophecy and could see that if only I could hide this gold from this man’s eyes, that in the future a very pious man will rediscover this gold and use it to build a hospital for the poor, so you see, it only APPEARED that I was doing the wealthy man a favor. Never judge things at their face value, the average man cannot see the whole picture”.

So I wouldn’t change a thing for fear, in my ignorance, of fouling things up!

Acadia

13. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Acadia
    What a wonderful story-it makes you pause and think :)
    Rita

14. MGD

MGD Registered Member

Forwards..........no doubt..............Q.E.D.

Attached Files:

15. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Looooooooool!..........MGD.....now you really have taken me back 50 years....they are dead ringers for a couple of friends I used to know.. :D :D :D ;) ;)

16. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Why? Did u think I was being offensive? U explained my thinking very nicely.

17. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

so does this mean back - forward - neither - ?

regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.