Backups fails and freezes computer due to bad sectors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Guille779, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guille779

Guille779 Registered Member

Hi,

I'm trying to backup my main drive but Acronis just throws an error about not being able to read from a bad sector on the drive.

I have an old backup from that drive, and a recent System State backup, so I guess I could just simply replace the drive, restore from the backup that I have and also restore the System State.

However, I'd like to try a few more things before doing so. Why dows Acronis freeze when it finds a bad secotr even though I tell it to ignore it? Will I ever be able to backup this drive again?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you run CHKDSK d: /R (where d: is the drive letter) on this drive to fix the bad sectors?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Guille779 and jmk94903,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Despite the option to ignore bad sectors, not all sectors can be simply skipped by our program. Please check the suggestions below:

1. Checkdisk and SnapAPI update according this article.
    2. Sector-by-sector image creation, as it is described here.

Detailed information about Acronis True Image Home product can be found in User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

4. Guille779

I have, but I don't think it's working properly. Running CHKDSK c: /R reboots the server, scans the disk, reboots it again, scans it again... it's an endless loop. After the fifth restart I canceled the task.

5. Guille779

Thanks man, I'll definitely give it a try. Acronis has saved me so many times before, it's a shame it can't do so now.

6. Acronis Support

Hello Guille779,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Can you please attach log file with the error message? If the issue still persists please provide us the following diagnostic information:

Download Acronis Report utility available at http://download.acronis.com/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and attach to your reply. Please compress the Acronis Report output file into an archive (e.g. with WinZip) and attach to your message by browsing for the archive.
    This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

7. eyecenter

eyecenter Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with (freshly downloaded) TI 2009 Home on a new (literally, just out of the box) Dell XPS Vista 64 system. It's hard to believe that the system HD has bad sectors already, but when I attempt to back-up the drive, TI images about 95% of the HD, then I get the "failure to read" msg, if I select "Ignore bad sectors" the system freezes. Running ChkDsk doesn't turn up any problems on the HD.
    I had seen elsewhere some hints that the Dell propriatary partitions on the system drive can cause problems with some utility apps (Symantec?). Has this been a reported issue with True Image??

8. Guille779

I've scheduled server downtime for thursday, so hopefully I'll be able to run theses tests then. I'll post back with my results.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  9. Guille779

So, if I creae a RAW image and succeed, can I restore that image onto a new hard drive using the standar method or do I have to do it via console too?

10. jmk94903

If it's worth some money, it's time to go to more powerful disk repair. Have you tried Spinrite? It fixes lots of things that stop CHKDSK cold.

11. jmk94903

You really should start your own thread even though the problems are similar. Obviously, the solutions could be very different.

Have you run:
    1. CHKDSK d: /R (where d: is the drive letter for the drive you want to check)

2. The Dell Diagnostics that are on your hard drive? Run the detailed test.

12. eyecenter

eyecenter Registered Member

Thanks John. I'll try the Dell diagnostics, but I'm skeptical that there is any big problem with the computer itself.
    TI Home 2009 is very unstable on this system. Now when I try to back up any part of the HD, Vista 64 errors out TI and closes the program. This system is configured for HD video editing and absolutely runs like a champ when TI is uninstalled, but various wierdness, sluggishness, problems with Vista Restore function, etc. when it is installed.
    It's too bad- I've used TI for many years, but looks like I am going to have to do without it for the time being.

13. Guille779

Hey Dmitry, here's the report.txt file. Hope it helps resolving my problem.

Attached Files:

14. Acronis Support

Hello Guille779,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

According to Acronis Report there are no bad blocks but file system errors. You can do the following to resolve the issue:

1) Create full drive backup, then format the drive and restore the image back with resizing using Acronis bootable disc.
    2) You can create sector by sector backup suggested by Alexander and restore that image to another new hard drive.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

15. Guille779

Thanks Dmitry. I ended up restoring an old backup image to a new drive, and then applying the latest System State backup. Everything seems to be working fine now, as I was able to perform a full drive backup without problems.

16. Acronis Support

Hello Guille779,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that the program doesn't bother you.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

17. Guille779

Well, I think I'm still having problems. I restored a previous image to a new hard drive, along with the most recent System State backup and everything seems to be working ok (Active Directory is intact, no strange error messages, Acronis is able to create snapshots) BUT, the Report Tool still reports file system errors.

I'm attaching a report.txt just created. How can I fix this?

Attached Files:

18. Guille779

Any ideas?

19. Acronis Support

Hello Guille779,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

You should get rid of the file system errors on the recovered system, disk 1 Partition 1 and disk 2 Partition 1 contains errors. Perform check disk:

Could you please check the disks for errors?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

Also you can use any third-party software for these purposes, for example, TestDisk

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.