Backup Wizard

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dch1950, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dch1950

dch1950 Registered Member

Hi,
    I am a long time user Of Acronis ((from ver 9). I recently upgraded to 2009 issue from version 11. I ran my first full backup on Sat 1st August 2009.
    My backup strategy is 1 monthly full backup with 3 weekly incrementals.
    On sat 8th I wished to perform my first incremental. Wizard invoked but the screen with target destination options confused me.
    Firstly - I didn't get a list of existing .tib files (i.e. my file of the previous week was not shown)
    secondly - selecting the add to existing archive option didn't do anything.
    I had to use the create new archive option - even though I wasn't creating a new archive. I selected my fullbackup file (1/8/09 .tib file) and was told I was going to overwrite the file (did I want to do this y/n). I didn't really as I only wanted to perform an incremental. Still I was "comforted" by the info note on the screen (i.e second use of create new archive will default to incremental)
    It doesn't though as another screen gives you other potentially ruinous options.
    It looks as if the "add to existing archive..." option is redundant.
    Any comments Mr Acronis support ?
    regards
    Dave Hickman
    PS I think I'll go back to version 11
    D

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dave,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Acronis True Image Home 2009 stores information about the backup archives in a metadata information database. If the archive is present at your system (you can check it in the log files), this means that due to unknown reason the internal database wasn't updated. To add the backup file you should use the Browse for backup button at Select to backup or manage window (Backup and restore -> Manage and restore).

I suppose you selected another source for the backup, and the program could create a full backup archive only. You are unable to place the second full backup file to the same location with the help of the standard program tools, the full backup file overwrites the first one.

I suggest you to create one non-scheduled task and to perform it manually. In this case you don't need to manage the backup task again and again, you can select it at at Manage tasks and logs window (Tasks and logs -> Unscheduled tasks), make right click on the task and choose Start.

Here is an example on how to manage an unscheduled task:

Launch the program -> Backup -> My computer, for example -> Choose the desired partitions (C partition is already marked) -> Next -> At the Target backup archive window select Create new backup archive item and choose backup location at the appropriate box -> Next -> Choose Do not schedule -> Next -> Select Incremental or differential backup method, mark "Create a new full backup after" box and specify the number of incremental or differential backups -> Next -> Next -> Next -> At Automatic consolidation window specify the desired quotas for the target location -> Next -> Next -> Proceed.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.