backup verified but restore files not properly working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by covici, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. covici

covici Registered Member

Hi. TrueImage worked for me, but after I recomended it to someone -- he backed up an image of several partitions, deleted the windows partition and installed a fresh copy of windows. When he tried to copy some files/folders from the image (which had been verified), a number of folders would not copy -- his system complained about access being denied and some folders you could not even go into with windows explorer. We also tried to use the recovery wizard, but it just hung after checking the recover files or folders box and hitting next. I like the product, but I now have serious doubts and I wonder what could be doing this.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

On an active system, one canot overwrite certain active/system files/directories.

You can probably do so, if you boot from the TI CD, but be careful of whaty you overwite.

3. covici

covici Registered Member

These were folders which were not system folders and some of them it would not let me get inside on the image drive and when I tried to use the rescue media I never got to the files/folders list at all -- it just hung -- this is very worrying to me.

4. Howard Kaikow

Were they folders used by active apps, etc.?
    Loys of stiff runs in the background.

5. covici

covici Registered Member

Nope -- just ordinary folders in fact if you tried to explore them on the image drive it complained about the folders being inaccessible or non existent -- but they were there -- and why didn't the recovery work at all!! When I selected recover files or folders and hit next it just hung!!

6. covici

covici Registered Member

No, they were just ordinary folders -- in fact when we tried to explore them on the image drive without trying to copy them, the system said the folders were inaccessible or non existent. And why didn't the recover files or folders work at all when I hit next after selecting recover files or folders the system hung!

7. Howard Kaikow

If u r unable to access the critters when Exploring the image, then u r stuck, unless Axronis has some way to fix such things.

If you still have the files on a hard drive, and you can access the files on the hard drive, try making another image.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello covici,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that this problem is not related to Acronis software, but to some Windows peculiarities.

If you created an image archive with Acronis True Image and try to explore it on another computer or in another operating system, you may get Acess denied message upon trying to access a folder or a file.

Please note that even if the user account you are currently logged on under and that you created the image archive under have the same name, they still have different IDs, therefore you may not have rights to access certain folders.

Please take a look at this FAQ article describing the issue in more detail.

If the solution suggested in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 308421 does not help then you can also try becoming NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM on Windows 2000/XP/2003 as a workaround.

I'm inclined to believe that in this case Acronis True Image 9.0 hangs for the very same reason as described above. However, I've forwarded this information to our Testing Team and they will certainly try to find out the exact reason for this problem. I'll let you know the results of their investigation as soon as I'll receive a reply.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  9. covici

covici Registered Member

OK, thanks for your response -- there is only one thing I do not understand about your argument and that is when we booted from the recovery disk we still could not access the files when we selected recover files or folders and hit next it just hung.

Thanks for any assistance you can give on this matter.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello covici,

I'm sorry for not being careful enough reading your post #3. Actually, I just have not mentioned that you were using Bootable Rescue CD.

However, the first part of my above post does remain in force.

As for the problem with the restoration of individual files and folders when Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from Bootable Rescue CD, first of all please make sure that you use the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build prior to installing build 2323.

Create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you will not be able to create a sysinfo.txt file for some reasons then please boot from the Acronis True Image 9.0 rescue disc once more and press F11 key when the selection screen appears.

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

How did you attempt to restore the files? By plugging a drive image and copying the files or by using the restores selected files function that is new to version 9?

sh

12. covici

covici Registered Member

Just to let you know being nt\system authority did not help the inaccessibility of certain folders at all -- I could not runTrueimage as that user -- it complained that there was no desktop, but I plugged in the image and ran the explorer as that user, but certain folders were still inaccessible.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.