Backup under running Windows or F11/ResqueCD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by esdwa, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esdwa

esdwa Registered Member

I was wondering what is better (more reliable): to create an True Image of your WinXP system drive when the Windows is actually running or using Secure Rescue Manager that is run from either F11 boot manager or from CD rescue disk?
    Just recently purchased TI 10.0 and tried to backup my clean System XP Pro SP2 drive both ways. Both ways worked well :) , however with the image made under running Windows, after restore the system registered some of the hardware components again :cautious: . With the image created using TI bootable media (boot CD and by F11) such problem did not occur ;) .
    Is it possible that TI image created when Windows is running has some information missing? Which way is actually recommended?

2nd quesitons is simple:
    How can I delete certain backup image from Security Zone using TI manager? If I can't, is there a way to clear existing Security Zone partition without its deletion? Thanks 4 all the answers :thumb:

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

To delete the SZ, boot with the TI boot CD and use the Manage Secure Zone feature.

I don't like backing up from Windows for the very reason that something like you're run into may happen. I always use the boot CD for all my Backup, Recover, and Clone features. I don't even have the Startup Recovery Manager (for F11 use) activated, since it modifies your MBR.

3. esdwa

esdwa Registered Member

Thanks DwnNdrty! Your response is a good confirmation of what I have suspected after described experience. I am going to use TI backup only using bootable TI options. However I have multiboot disk drive and I have not experienced any problems when installing F11 bootloader. TI bootloader just starts first and after this my original bootloader comes into action. Everything is OK. Another thing is that when I uninstalled TI from the machine, the F11-boot has been removed automatically without affecting my OS bootloader. So I find this options to be very usefull. However I decided to use both ways to keep my system partition image: in Secure Zone and on DVD disk - just in case. They both work well :)

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello esdwa,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image allows you to create backups on a "live" system without any problems. Please have a look my reply in this thread <Which way to backup?> for the detailed explanation.

As for your questions about Acronis Secure Zone, please note that Acronis True Image does not allow you to manage backup archives stored in Acronis Secure Zone manually. Acronis Secure Zone uses automatic scheme to delete backup archives. Check chapter 3.3 "Acronis Secure Zone" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide for more details. In addition, it is not possible to clear the entire Acronis Secure Zone without its deletion.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.