Backup to Thinkpad fails

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bchan, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bchan

bchan Registered Member

Hello, I just bought True Image online today. After installing the software to my IBM T30 Thinkpad I thought I might as well tried a full back up of my hard disk C: to the Acronis Secure Zone created in the same computer. My computer has ample space (the 40G hard disk has only 5G data). The Secure Zone was created all right, but when I tried a full copy it failed. The Acronis log contains the following lines:

1. The "Current backup operation" operation started
    2. Analyzing partition 0-0...
    3. Analyzing partition C:...
    4. Analyzing partition 1-2...
    5. Analyzing partition 1-5...
    6. Analyzing partition 1-5...
    7. Preparing Acronis Startup Recovery Manager...
    8. Acronis Startup Recovery Manager was successfully prepared...
    9. Analyzing partition C:...
    10. Create Incremental Backup Archive
    To:Acronis Secure Zone
    Compression:Normal
    Description: "Full backup on 25 Oct 2007"
    11. Pending operation 131 started: "Creating partition image"
    12. Locking partition C:...
    13. Operation with partition "0-5" was terminated.
    Details:
    Disk is full (0x70015)
    Tag = 0xF6013C318C15A6D7
    Disk is full. (0x40004)
    Tag = 0xC4AB60A831327ED2
    14. Operation has completed with errors.

So the backup never gets done by the program. The disk can't be full because I have only used 5G of space; what do the error messages in line 13 above mean?

Afterthought: Thinkpads have a so-called 'recovery partition' (hidden from Windows) whereby theirs owners can, if they screw up their computers, revert back to the factory pre-install saved in the recovery partition by pressing F11 at boot-up. Is it possible that this recovery partition makes the Acronis backup fail? (On the other hand, I have heard people said that this recovery partition is actually not a real partition but a hard-disk protected area that can only be accessed by F11 at boot-up).

Side question: Though the back up failed Acronis did not produce warning messages on the screen. I had to go to view the logs myself. Is this by design, or is there a way to configure the program so that the user is informed automatically whenever the backup fails?

Thanks for any advice! It's a bit discouraging though that my first backup cannot go through.

Bernard

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Hopefully you didn't accept the default to "Activate The Startup Recovery Manager". In any case try making the Bootable Rescue CD, boot with it and see if you can do the Backup from the Backup feature on the CD.
    BTW, with the price of external drives nowadays, you'll be better of NOT using the SZ and instead keep the backup on the external drive.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I have an old x23 thinkpad, i do agree that the ibm recovery utility may be causing your errors. I believe it creates a hidden partition like acronis does which could be whats causing the problem. I actually removed the recovery partition on mine and just use trueimage 10 instead.

4. bchan

bchan Registered Member

Hello, I didn't accept the default because I fear there may be clashes between the IBM restore factory preinstall and True Image since they both use the F11 key.

I agree that external drive is a better way to keep backups, I just happened not to have a USB drive handy yesterday.

I will try your suggestion of creating a bootable CD later this week and see if it makes any difference. Thanks.

5. bchan

bchan Registered Member

How do you delete the recovery partition? I would like to know. Thanks.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Basically i wiped the entire hard drive. I'd say you could just remove the recovery utility and then use a disk management tool to remove the hidden partition.

7. bchan

bchan Registered Member

Well, I tried to create a bootable CD but it failed. The message is "E00460007: Bad Media! Provide another media and try again." But the CD is OK because it had just been used to copy a couple of small files. Have I missed anything? Thanks!

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

Regarding the issue with Acronis Bootable Rescue Media creation: please use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW disc.

Regarding the issue with backup creation - I've checked the log you provided and it seems that you're saving your backup to Acronis Secure Zone. Could you please check the size of your Acronis Secure Zone?

We also recommend you to install Acronis Drivers to overcome this issue.

If the issue still persists, please create the driver log by installing the update again with enabled logging and reproducing the issue. The log file will be created on the C:\ partition. The name of this file will be snapapi[date-time].log

After that please submit a request for technical support with the attached log and the link to this thread. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.