backup to removable media not recognised

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bigliam1970, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigliam1970

bigliam1970 Registered Member

Very annoying problem here:

I have tried three times now to back up my system to removable (DVD) media using ATI in Windows XP and booting from the ATI Boot Disk.

Once the backup completes, the discs are then rendered unreadable by XP and by ATI itself using the boot disk thus meaning that the DVD's are useless.

Obviously I have tried the 'Validate Backup Archive' function but it isn't even recognising the backup media in the drive.

Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Put that very same disc in the Rom, and put another black DVD in the Burner, and use a 3rd party program (Nero, Sonic, and etc) to copy it. I guarentee it will work!

3. bigliam1970

The disks created by ATI are not readable at all, so I will not be able to copy the .tib file over using Nero.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you using build 3677?

5. bigliam1970

No I'm not using build 3677, I am currently using a dial up connection and will download an update soon (it takes ages!) I have 3633 at the moment.

Does 3677 solve this problem??

6. seekforever

I don't backup directly to DVDs but AFAIK 3633 does not work because of the archive files not being seen although I think it might work if you use DVD-RW only. Search for recent posts by Menorcaman, he is the forum guru on this topic and has done extensive independent testing of this feature.
    I believe a lot of the DVD problems were fixed in 3666 and 3677's prime reason for existing is to fix a bug in scheduler task editing. One never knows exactly what corrections were done in any of the builds but the first thing Acronis will do when providing support is ask you to try the latest build - they may have also fixed some DVD quirks as well in 3677.

7. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

3633 was the version the DVD could not be recognized. Then 3666 solved the read problem to where it would actually read the .tib files.
    During my testing of 3666, I recieved a few error messages. Sometimes the DVD's would work, and others ...they wouldn't. I haven't tried v3677 yet.

Whatever you do....make sure you choose the "VALIDATE BACKUP ARCHIVE BEFORE RESTORATION" !! Before you click on the "PROCEED" button!

Because if you don't, Acronis will try to Restore from the DVD while erasing the C:/ partition simultaneously. Then if you get a Disc error message, the whole process comes to a halt. But by then... your C:/ is GONE!!

8. bigliam1970

I have read some of StarsFan's posts concerning this DVD problem. I suggest anyone having this same problem does the same, some very interesting points raised.

I have come to the conclusion that if 3666 doesn't correctly allow DVD backup I am going to ditch Acronis as a software company altogether.

Sorry Acronis, but as far as i can see your backup software is failing in the very task it has been designed for. How can i put my trust in a piece of commercial software that is known to have bugs that affect the very thing it is meant to do.

If ATI is known to have problems with removable media, I suggest Acronis try bundling their software with a free USB HDD. Maybe they could send one to all of us who have bought their software recently (whats the saying about sarcasm being the lowest for of wit?? lol).

I have also noticed that Acronis Tech Support have been reluctant to supply any official answers on this problem in any thread. They are obviously aware there are some unhappy people out there.

Thanks guys...

Big Liam :)

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I go much further than that being a very risk averse person. My rule always has been when trying out the restore function of a new build is DO IT TO A SPARE HARD DRIVE. That way you are not putting anything at risk and are practising exactly what you would do in a real disaster situation with a hard drive.

Xpilot

10. seekforever

Obviously you indeed do it in the safest manner but when I am doing some testing or whatever and want a quick backup and restore, I really don't want to be swapping HDs around. Edit:I just remembered you use the caddies which does make this considerably simpler.

My experience is that once you get reliable backup and restores with your hardware configuration you can generally rely on it working everytime. This seems to be borne out by various forums on such software, if it works, it works well and people give it high marks, if it doesn't work then it gets zero marks; very little in between.

Having said that, and this is where your method shines, is that you can fall victim of a new hardware fault or perhaps a bad file structure on the source HD. The Validate function should catch the former and chkdsk every now and then is a good idea to try and circumvent the latter.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  11. bigliam1970

Absolutely spot on seekforever.

The most apt part of your post is where you mention 'if it doesn't work then it gets zero marks'. Surely, something as vitally important as backup software should be failsafe, it SHOULD work. I really don't want to put my trust and money into anything that doesn't do what it says it will do. And, to be honest, over the years I have used computers, I am stunned at the amount of software developers that commercially release software that falls into that category.

Let me tell you the reason for geting involved with Acronis in the first place:

I used to use the built in back-up routine in XP. Very simple and quick but didn't have any of the functionality that leaves more expensive 3rd party backup applications (like ATI) open to the problems and criticism that are mentioned on a majority of the threads I have read on these boards so far.

<snip>

Sometimes you can't see the wood for the tree's huh... :)

Big Liam

edited to remove off-topic remark - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2006
  12. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

IS THIS TRUE FOR AN EXTERNAL USB HDo_O?

13. seekforever

If you are referring to the wisdom of having the archive validated before the restore, yes. The partition is first deleted and then the restore begins. So if it fails after the partition is turned into unallocated space then that's what you are left with.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bigliam1970,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that the problem with DVD recognition has been fixed in build 3666. The latest build is 3677.

Please note that if any problem in Acronis True Image appears, our Development Team works hard to fix it as soon as possible.

If the problem relates to the software/hardware configuration, we try to investigate the problem.

So, if build 3677 doesn't work for you, please provide us with the detailed information on the problem and we will try to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.