backup to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by csosza, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csosza

csosza Registered Member

Is it possible to backup directly to DVD?
    (I have True Image Home 10)

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It works with many hardware setups but it's slow because DVDs are slow. Restoring will be even slower because it will involve a lot of DVD disk swapping.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

And you have to sit there to feed in the blanks as needed. If you use another hard drive, internal or external, you can "start it and forget it".

4. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

And don't forget this quirky thing:

When you place your DVD on the burner tray, you have to leave the tray open and let TI close it. If you close the tray yourself, TI will pop an error.

5. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I have had luck with a 2.3 gig partition but it works correctly only if compression is on default (one DVD-RW).

With No compression, corruption occurs on my set-up. Also no problems with the cd tray either. I guess it depend on your particular hardware.

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Everyone forgot to mention the most important thing.
    Quality of your DVD media.

Every DVD media you use will say "burn succesful", but when you try to read it, thats another story unless you use "ultra high quality media". I think 90% of the problems relating to failure to restore from DVD's or taking too long etc, is cause by bad media. I have 100% success rate using DVD's (but I use that method only when I can't do a direct hard drive restoration). I only use the highest quality DVD's for backup from my research and testing that I have done.

If you plan on only using DVD's as your primary backup means, pick your blank DVD's very carefully. As far as Namebrands go, some of the best known companys sell the worst quality DVD media out there. Before I use to think all blank DVD's where the same, but I learn the hard way of my errors.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/47

7. cortez

cortez Registered Member

If you are 90% correct, then it may solve 100% of my problems: I have some reading to do.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

My experience to date indicates that Verbatim DataLifePlus disks are a safe bet. They tend to be more compatible across more makes of CD/DVD recorders than most other makes (plus they are reasonably priced for branded media).

Regards

Menorcaman

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you need to use very high quality disk, then the prob could be that your burner is running to fast for a good burn. ATI, however, doesn't let you control the burn speed iirc.

10. Pyemia

Pyemia Registered Member

Having made numerous <Acronis (Russia)> backups to CD/DVD by True Image, a single back up by Genie Backup Manager and another single backup to dvd by Handy Backup (I've given links there it you'd like to see the respective features) I decided that you guys rock forever. Keep on the good job! :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.