Backup to DVD question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ddbaby11, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddbaby11

ddbaby11 Registered Member

Hi,

I am new to TI 7.0 but not new to backing up. I have a standalone PC running Windows XP Pro. I purchased this software after doing a complete reintall for the umpteenth time. All I want is to make a snapshot of my harddisk after a fresh install and all updates have been applied. Then I want to safe guard that snapshot on a DVD-RW disk. I have the latest build of TI 7.0, the latest NEC firmware for the DVD drive and SP 2 for Windows XP Pro. Here are my questions:

1. Why does Acronis report the drive as a CD-R drive and not a DVD-RW drive as Windows and every other program does.

2. I am able to create an image directly onto the DVD disk, but Acronis always starts the process by asking me to put a disk in the drive. Well, there is always a disk in the drive when Acronis asks for one. This obviously nullifies any scheduled session, as I have to at the keyboard to click on OK and let the program know there is already a disk in the drive.

3. I call the backup set I'm creating onto DVD disks "First Complete Backup". The backup spans three disks at normal compression. After disk one is full, it tells me to mark it as disk one and insert a new blank disk. Once disk two is full, it tells me to mark it as disk FOUR and insert a new blank disk. Why does Acronis think disk two is disk four? Could it be because it thinks my drive is a CD-R and not a DVD-RW with much higher capacity?

4. My scheduled incremental backups to DVD have yet to work, because I am supposed to specify the backup .tib name immediately preceeding the one that is about to run. Well, if the program keeps adding a number to each incremental file name, i.e. First Complete Backup7.tib, how will the scheduler EVER work? The idea of the scheduler is to tell it ONE time to run MANY times. But if the file names are constantly changing, how can this possibly work? I must not be understanding something.

5. Should I just create a folder on my C drive and send my first backup and all subsequent incrementals to this folder. Then I can just burn the contents of that folder to DVD and circumvent all these other issues. But will the DVD be able to restore if I do it this way?

I am not venting, and do hope some kind soul will come along and pose real answers to these questions. I need a nudge in the right direction. Thanks,

Drew

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Writing directly to DVD doesn't seem to be a good idea. While possible (with appropriate packet writing software), it appears to cause more trouble than anything else.

The best bet is to image to your hard drive first, then burn a normal (ISO) DVD using the method I have described here (near the end of the thread)

As for your question about scheduled incremental backups...
    Schedule a job to create an incremental backup (called "MyBackup" for example). The first time it runs, it will create a full backup with files called MyBackup1.tib, MyBackup2.tib, etc. The next time it runs, it will use the previous backups to base the incremental files off of. For example, MyBackup3.tib, MyBackup4.tib. When you schedule a backup, you don't put (or have to worry about) the number at the end. ATI will pick up where it left off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.