Backup to different computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pepegot1, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pepegot1

pepegot1 Registered Member

I have an external backup of the current computer OS-no problems restoring to same machine. How about backing the external "backup drive" to a completely new computer? Could there be problems? Please advise.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If mean that you want to restore the image of your old computer to a new computer then the short answer is that it is a bad idea unless both machines have an identical hardware configuration.

The drivers would be wrong along with any other hardware specific files.

I would consider a new PC the chance to do a nice clean install and then install only the required applications and data files.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pepegot1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that in order to migrate your Windows system to different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep). Please take a look at this FAQ article.

Please be aware that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware. Actually, no one can guarantee this.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Otoh, you can do a repair install of windows after restoring a clone to another computer. This will install the right drivers for the hardware onthe new machine and you will probably have all your apps already installed. But there's nothing like a clean slate to start with. Especially with an OS that collects as much detritus as Windows does.

sh

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Pepegot1,

You haven't indicated which OS you're using but if it's Windows XP then, in addition to what has already been said, you will probabaly be faced with the requirement to reactivate the OS. If your Windows is an OEM version then you could well have a problem!!

Regards

6. budo

budo Registered Member

The original question and the replys that followed really got me thinking!
    I recently bought a Western Digital 120Mg HD and made an Image copy of my C drive with 2 purposes in mind. 1. If I should have a failure of my HD and replace it I then could copy the image back to the replacement and be back in business.
    2. If I were to replace my entire computer I would reformat the new C drive and copy image from backup HD to it. Easy right? Then I realized as your answers said and I had never thought about, that's not a good idea. Problems created.
    So my question is now should I just use the WD HD for data backup and if a new computer is necessary at least I would be able to salvage most of my info etc. It would mean reinstalling all programs I had providing I still had them.
    I've got some thinking to do and if there any ideas on this out there I would appreciate input.

Budo

7. Menorcaman

Hi Budo,

Personally, I think it's still a good idea to image the whole of your main drive to your backup drive. This gives you two options:

1. The ability to restore the image to a replacement drive in the event main drive failure.
    2. The ability to mount (plug) the image on a replacement computer in order to recover your data files, emails, etc.

Regards

8. budo

budo Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman
    Tks for the reply
    On your nr 2 sentence, how do you feel about the thoughts of seekforever
    "If mean that you want to restore the image of your old computer to a new computer then the short answer is that it is a bad idea unless both machines have an identical hardware configuration."
    "The drivers would be wrong along with any other hardware specific files."

budo

9. Menorcaman

Hi budo,

I totally agree with seekforever. Whilst you might get away with a subsequent Windows "Repair" reinstall, you would probably end up with a somewhat messy and unstable system.

The thinking behind my 2nd scenario is that you would carry out a clean install of Windows and your applications (including TI!!) and then mount/plug the old image to copy across your personal data e.g. address book, emails, documents, jpegs, mpegs, etc., etc.

Regards

10. budo

budo Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman

Tks for your input. Think I'll stick with the way I have it set up for now (clone).
    Tks again
    Budo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.