Backup tasks NOT working right!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rick_A, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick_A

Rick_A Registered Member

Here is my setup: I am running TI 10. I have 2 hard drives -- one for OS and programs, the other for data. I also have 2 external USB hard drives, which I have designated in Acronis as backup locations -- one for each of my internal hard drives. Additionally, I have established tasks to run (unscheduled -- only when I specify). Each backup task is supposed to run a FULL backup, then 5 DIFFERENTIAL backups, then start the cycle over again with another FULL backup.

Well.... the first backup was a full backup, as expected. But I am now up to 7 differential backups on top of my first full one -- why did the task not start over with a new full backup after making 5 differentials as specified? I entered the "Edit" task routine to check all of my settings -- and I do indeed have the tasks set up just as I described above. So... why isn't it working that way? Anybody? Help?!

Rick A.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Check out this thread BACKUP LOCATIONS don't work especially the attached file.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rick_A,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that old backups are only deleted when location quotas are exceeded. Untill then, new backups will be created according to the set schedule and old ones will remain untouched. With the schedule you have set (5 differential backups before next full) the 7 backups you have are most likely 5 differentials for 1st full backup, 2nd full backup and one differential for 2nd full backup. Please also see this thread for more details on how Acronis Backup Location quotas work.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. Rick_A

Rick_A Registered Member

I am certain this is not the case. My first full backup is very large -- 85GB. And each of the 7 additional backups (differentials) are only around 5 or 6 GB. There is no sign of another full backup, which would be much larger, like the first one. Even though I have specified only 5 differentials before another full backup, I now have 7 differentials. Why is the task not following the configuration I have set up?

5. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Rick,
    Are your backup files in your Backup Location named in the following format?
    2007_06_29_05_25_07_404F.TIB
    2007_06_29_05_25_07_404F2.TIB
    2007_06_29_05_25_07_404F3.TIB

If so, it would suggest you have everything set up correctly. Sometimes deleting the Task and/or Backup Location (no need to delete the backup files), then re-creating them, will get things working correctly. If you delete the Backup Location be sure and use TI's wizard.

If the files are not in this format, take another look at the text file in this post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172470#13, and make certain you are assigning the task to the Backup Location correctly.

6. Rick_A

Rick_A Registered Member

I am aware from reading posts on this forum that this odd naming convention is one of the idiosyncracies of using defined backup locations. Yes... my files are being named by Acronis TI 10.0 in exactly this unusual way. Is it possible I am confusing the program because I am not using a fixed backup schedule? I specifically configured my tasks so that backups will run ONLY at my request -- and this had turned out to be on a very random basis, following no meaningful schedule at all. Could it be that this "non-schedule" is making it impossible for TI 10.0 to "count" the number of backups? Odd, though.... the backup files are being numbered incrementally and correctly. One would think that if the program can do this correctly, then it should be able to figure out the correct time to start the backup cycle over again with a new full backup.

Rick A.

7. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

I don't think that's an issue. I have a couple of tasks that I run manually at very random times with no problems. You might try creating a task with a small amount of data, with the parameters you want (full followed by 5 differentials) for your main backups, create a backup location for that task on your internal HD, then manually run the task 7 or 8 times to see if TI does what you want. If it does, try testing on your external HD in the same manner. If the test succeeds again, recreate your original tasks and backup locations, that has fixed problems for me and others and might for you.

If the tests fail, an uninstall and reinstall of TI might correct the problem, or a service request to Acronis, or a post from another member. It certainly appears you have everything set up correctly.

You might post a screen shot of the files in your backup location.

Regards, CatFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.