Backup System Volume & Master Boot Record versus C Drive Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mranybody, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mranybody

mranybody Registered Member

Ok, I've taken the plunge and upgraded from ATI11 to v2009. I really hope I don't live to regret this. i gotta say - I wasn't a fan of v11, but that thankfully I'm not there anymore.

First impression is that v2009 looks nice! :D

Second impression is that it won't let me create a bootable media - I just get a 'Processing, please wait' and the green status bar hanging just near completion for ever. Anyway, I'll get back to that later.

First off today is - What's the difference between the 'Backup System Volume and Master Boot Record' offered in 'One-Click Protection' and making an image of my C Drive?? The former is only briefly mentioned in 4.1 of the User Manual that I can see.

Do I need both? If so, why? What different purposes do they serve?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. lesterf1020

lesterf1020 Registered Member

They are essentially the same unless your system drive is not the C Drive for some reason. The master Boot record contains info on your partitions (Drive letters).

3. mranybody

Thanks lesterf,

Check me if I'm reading right - backup of my 'System Volume' in this case is the same as back up of 'System State'?

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I do not have the answer to your questions as I am not using this version.

However, you could perform a backup using both choices and compare the sizes.

Remember, it is the "disk" type backup (disk option checked when doing a backup) which includes all partitions (both hidden & diagnostic) on your system disk---which will help you the most should you need to replace your main hard drive. This type backup includes everything including system state. Should your hard drive fail, this type backup will enable you to restore your system within minutes--depending upon how much data you have to restore.

This type backup will also enable you to perform single partitions restores; or even single file restores, etc. This type backup offers the most restore options.

5. mranybody

Thanks GroverH,

Even better, I've found the size etc of the backup is all there in the first stage of the wizard, so I didn't have to go as far as creating both. It's identical to the My Computer Image in every way. In fact, its the same wizard.

So, I'm now 100% sure that the System Volume Backup is exactly the same as My Computer backup in v2009 rather than the same as System State.

If I remember correctly, My Computer backup was Disks & Partitions in ATI11.

Thanks for the tips. Very much appreciated.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

mranybody, there are some notes about the issue with Acronis Booting Rescue Media creation. You can overcome the issue in the following way:

Launch the program -> Tools -> Create Bootable Rescue Media -> Next -> Next -> Next -> Select ISO image -> Next -> Specify the location to store the file to and the file name -> Next -> Proceed.

You can find more information on how to burn an ISO image to a CD here and here

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.