backup server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by virtualgeorge, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtualgeorge

virtualgeorge Registered Member

Wonder if someone could give me some tips on setting up a backup server?

I have been using TI on my workstations and creating images to external HD but now I want to try the server edition.

I have 2 servers I want to do full image backups. I have a compaq proliant 5500 server with scsi drives a raid controller so I thought I would use that to store my backups. I suppose that would be a heck of a lot faster that sending images to a external HD right?

So if the backup server is a good idea I was wondering how many drives & what configuration I should use?

I would like to be able to rotate drives and keep one in a fire safe that would have images of both my other 2 servers.

Thanks,
    -George

2. collisba

collisba Registered Member

My storage server is an HP Dl380, running 6 300G Scsi drives, along with a fiber card connected to a SAN with more space. I have 4 nics teamed together for extra bandwidth. All drives are raid 3/5 at the controller.

You'll need to figure out how many days/weeks worth of backups you want to keep on hand to decide how much drivespace you'll need on your server. I Keep 3 weeks worth of backups on hand, and drop the older stuff on tape or wansync for offsite storage. I do not use secure zone.

Yea, it's going to be faster than an external drive... if you have gigabit, it'll make your life easier. You're only talking 2 servers though.. I guess you could mirror the drives and then pull for storage when not backing up, but you're probably better to just schedule copy to whatever drive you want to store.

The only difference between Enterprise and normal TI is the ability to schedule from 1 machine. I don't use it because TI has yet to see all of my subnets. I find it's easier/faster to remote admin the server than to deal with the management console. The price difference between TI Enterprise and Remote Admin or VNC is something to consider.

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.