Backup Reserve Center does not work TI2009 Build 9615

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rgornitsky, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgornitsky

rgornitsky Registered Member

Using Build 9615. Ran incremental backup with backup reserve center option. Also tried full backup. Backups were successful however no backup reserve ran. Log indicated function not even called. Was backing my reserve to an internal USB drive. Interesting, after the job was ran, my usb drive appeared disconnected but then reappeared after I refreshed explorer. Only happens after to running TI2009.

Also I cannot find the "About" command on TI2009.

2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

In Vista, to show classic menu line press the Alt key while the window is open. The About command is at the bottom of the Help menu.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Whether running vista, xp or whatever, ATI 12/2009 mimics somewhat the Vista style of interface and the alt key is used to call up About. [/QUOTE=Mem]In Vista, to show classic menu line press the Alt key while the window is open. The About command is at the bottom of the Help menu.[/QUOTE]

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I can't comment on the build that you have rgornitsky, but in the build I looked at the reserve backup option always defaulted to a hidden folder on the main drive, no matter where you told TI to place it.

Check in C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\MyBackups if using Vista.

Colin

5. rgornitsky

Nope not there. I did notice that when I ran the task manually, it initiated a Read Error on Block 16, 246 on disk 2. Funny thing is the same error I got with TI11. I checked and there is no bad block. I also did a complete re-format and still the same error. Also interesting that when I run the task manually, entries are not loged. Boy this program has bugs!

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Which chkdsk switch did you use to check your drive?

chkdsk x: /r is the one that is most thorough.

Colin

7. rgornitsky

Yep, did a chkdsk /r. Took 5 hours. No problems detected. This is a well known problem that TI has with USB drives. TI falsely reports bad blocks because the drives do not write/read as fast ast TI expectes them. I have not had this problem with other back-up and TI has not yet decided to fix the problem.

8. Beat

Beat Registered Member

According to my last test the Reserve Backup works but only with a data backup (not with the system or partition backup assistant).

Beat

9. rgornitsky

So your test confirms that there is a bug since it is supposed to work for all TIB files. The documentation does not exclude system or partition backups. The reason I need this function is that if I want to activate the Startup Recovery Manager, I need the Secure Zone on my primary disk. If my primary disk fails, I lose my backup so I need this feature to replicate my backup on to USB drive.

10. Beat

Beat Registered Member

As an alternative you could start these backups (normal and USB) together for a sequential execution.

With the reserve option the additional backup will also start afterwards. ;)

Beat

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Why worry about it? The SRM modifies the boot record and I never care for that sort of thing (just me) and your HD failures should be very, very infrequent. So much easier just to boot up the recovery CD once in a blue moon and restore the image from wherever you put it for convenient safekeeping.

12. rgornitsky

Beat and Seekforever, you are both right. But it would still be nice that if vendors put features in their products that work. It would also be nice to have producst tested before release.:)

13. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No argument about that at all. It isn't uncommon for a new software product to have some issue but I have never seen anything as poor as Acronis' new versions. It really does make you wonder if there is much testing. I will temper this a bit with my usual statement that the PC environment due to its variety of hardware and software doesn't make it easy but when you get things that just don't plain work on any system it boggles the mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.