Backup/Recovery Time

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Cvike, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvike

Cvike Registered Member

I've backed up and restored on several computers with this product. I've had backups take 9 hrs and recoveries take 5 hrs. This post is to get an idea of what they "should" be and what I can do to speed these two processes along.

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Largely depends on the size of the used space on the drives. Can vary .

3. Cvike

Cvike Registered Member

Thanks. For the backup and the recovery, they were both around 20GB.

4. hangtime

hangtime Registered Member

I've just started using TI9 and a 10 Gig data back up and a restore (from a second hdd) would take me around an hour. I dont know if machine specs have any bearing on times. I'm using a couple of 74 gig 10k rpm raptors , 1 gig ram , A64 3200 and an A8V dlx mb.

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Backing up about 35GB data over 10 logical drives takes a bit under 3 hours, including the verify phase, with TI 9.2337.

I expect that the speed does depend on the type of source drives and the destination drive.

Using Ghost 10, as an example, yesterday, I backed up to a Seagate USB drive that has an 8MB cache. Including verify, the job took 2:48.

Later that day, with files essentially unchanged, using Ghost 10, I backed up to a Maxtor 5000LE, which has only a 2MB cache. Including verify, time was 2:59.

Both drives are 7200 RPM. Alas, Seagate, last I spoke to them, had NO information on the specs for their drive, so cannot further compare expected transfer rates.

In the case of Ghost, I am backing up drives, not files, using their Independent Recovery Set, not the Recovery Point Set (which would be more directly comparible to Acronis).

Note that shortly before doing these backups, I had just totally defragged all the source drives using Perfect Disk

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Cvike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create the bootable rescue media with the latest build and try to create and restore the image in rescue mode.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

What does chkdsk/scandisk have to do with performance in normal operation?

If the drive is so bad that bad sectors cannot be mapped to spare sectors, you'd see a performance hit with most every application, not TI specific.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  8. hexmaniac

hexmaniac Registered Member

My old system used to take about 45 - 60 minutes to image and 1 to 1.5 hours to restore (P4 2.4 1G Ram and ATA133 7200rpm disks). My new one (AMD X2 4800, 2G RAM, Raptor 10,000rpm SATA1 to 250GB SATA2 disk) takes 8 minutes to backup and 10 minutes to restore (@30GB of data, 20GB image file size). This is with TI8 build 937 and no verification. I imagine the 16MB caches on my new drives help quite a bit. I also think having drive on separate channels (SATA) where drives don't have to wait for others on the cable (ATA100/133) helps even more. HTH.

Ron

9. paultwang

paultwang Registered Member

Maximum compression

about 3 hours to backup online
    1 hour 20 minute to restore offline

about 60 GB of data compressed into 40 GB.
    backup device is connected via FireWire - which is quite slow compared to internal hard disk...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.