Backup Raid 0 WIndows XP Nvidia Raid Nforce4 MB

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Avatar, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar

Hi,

I am new to RAID basically setup my system, MSI K8N Diamond Winchester 3500+ with 2x Seagate 160GB SATA drives in RAID 0 installed Windows XP Pro all fine, until i tried to backup using Ghost 2003, it worked but gave me like 10 images.

What i would like to know is will Acronis backup my RAID array, otherwise i will have to abandon RAID and try out Dynamic striped drives using XP Pro, or just go back to simple drives.

Many Thanks.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Avatar,

Currently, TI's boot rescue mode doesn't support Nforce4 RAID. Whilst you can backup your RAID 0 system volume running TI in Windows mode, you wouldn't be able to restore it. Please see this previous <Acronis Support reply> for more details.

Regards

3. Avatar

Thanks Menorcaman,

So if i did the following had my 2x 160GB Sata in raid 0, had a third ide drive which has windows loaded onto it and TI8, used this also to store the backup images, then if my RAID array failed, could i put the IDE drive as my primary master load up windows and restore the RAID 0 image directly to the array?

Hope this makes sense, i have spent all weekend trying to get a backup solution to RAID 0 and am about to give up and just go with simple volumes or dynamic disks.

Many Thanks

4. Street14

Street14 Guest

Hiya well im not exactly sure why you are useing Raid 0
    As raid0 does not support a recovery option at all in any form.
    If you are trying to use raid as a pure hard drive back up you need to use i think. Raid 1 or Raid 5.
    Your raid controller must support those functions.
    Raid 1 requires no less then 2 hard drives raid 5 i think requires no less then 3 hard drives.
    As what i know about raid which is not all that much raid 0 is primaraly used as a speed boost and the striping method used by raid 0 of storing data is using both drives to store the data.
    If you are using raid as a back up im a bit confused as to why you would be using imaging software such as ghost or TI.
    Im just new to TI and the software avenue of backup and recovery.
    So im just asking and talking for future information for myself not to instruct you or anything of that sort.

5. Avatar

Hi,

Well basically i wanted to use RAID 0 for reasons of speed, but would still like all of my data backed up, i would go for RAID 5 but by motherboard does not supprt and i can't really shell out for another 2 hard drives to get RAID 0+1, so i was looking for a way to have the best of both worlds i.e. speed from RAID 0 and security from an image backup so if the worst happens i wont lose all of my data. Any ideas on whether the previous post will work or not would be fully appreciated.

Thanks,

6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Yes, your backup method should work --- with the following warning:
    A few programs like to detect and install themselves to all visable copies of Windows. You might get some surprises, when things unexpectedly show up in your second copy of Windows (the IDE drive one). It helps a little to partition the IDE drive into two partitions, one small one for windows and one large one for data. Then "Hide" the Windows partition until you need it.

Also, I'd be sure to have some backups copied to DVD or network or some place isolated from your main computer, just in case!

This posting comes with no warranty, either implied or explicit. Use any statements contained within at your own risk.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.