Backup Policy

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JohnP, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnP

JohnP Registered Member

Hello,
    In the Help section of ATI10 under Backup Policy the following is found: "Create differential backups - having chosen this parameter, check the Create a new full backup after ... parameter and specify number of differential backups, after which a new full backup will be created. The first time a full backup will be created. Next backups will be differential until the specified number of differential backups is reached." I would like to do exactly as this states but the "Create a new full backup after..." is not an option because the word "after" is not shown. I would like to create a full backup then a number of differential backups, then start again.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    JohnP

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

JohnP,
    This option becomes available when you first set up a Backup Location, then set up a Scheduled Task (can be started manually) and point the Task to the Backup Location. When you choose the location for the Task to report to, look under “Backup Locations” near the top of the file tree, rather than any location under “My Computer”.

CatFan

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JohnP,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please also see this post showing a picture of a correct way to choose backup location.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. JohnP

JohnP Registered Member

To CatFan and Marat Setdikov,

Thank you very much for the replies; the explanation and the screenshot were most helpful and I was able to schedule the backup with no difficulty.

Thanks again for all your help.

JohnP

5. though

though Registered Member

ok, i feel dumb, but at the same time, can see how easily it is to get confused. this is a setting that should be looked at for future TI builds that makes it easier for users to understand.

thanks for the help!

6. rcloran

rcloran Registered Member

I'll second the easy to get confused part. I have a back-up location and tasks scheduled. What I don't remember is what I set for parametes before the next full back up was to be performed. Is there a way to view or, better yet, edit that setting on an existing task? If not, is there a way to differentiate between full and differential back ups? My first full back up covered about six data sets, everything else looks smaller than that.

Thanks

Rick

7. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Rick,

From TI’s main screen, Create and Configure Backup Locations will get you to the next screen, where Edit Backup Location will let you click through your setup and see what you have. Similarly, From TI’s main screen, Tasks will get you to the list of tasks, just select the one you want to check, click the Edit icon, and advance through the task to see what you have.

Backup Location file naming:
    2007_03_15_07_05_30_813F.TIB --- This is the Full Backup, showing TI's naming protocol for Backup Locations.
    2007_03_15_07_05_30_813F2.TIB --- This is the First Incremental (or Differential), Note that it keeps the file name of the parent full backup, using "2" at the end to designate the second file in the series, “3” for the third, etc.

Regards, CatFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.