BackUp Peripheral Gone Missing

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by whazzupdoc, Jun 14, 2016.

1. whazzupdoc

whazzupdoc Registered Member

Sound screwy? My Samsung peripheral is the dedicated backup device for Macrium Reflect and my desktop. The device contains a Full BackUp (June 6th) and about a week of Differentials. I can no longer locate this device on my AMD10-4200 x64 which is less than 3 months old. After testing the boot/backup procedure and having it imaging...it has become invisible to my computer. On the other hand, I can plug the device into my Toshiba Satellite x86 and the drive is immediately recognized and I'm able to verify the contents. I've shutdown, rebooted and to no avail. Macrium Forum graciously explored all avenues with me since I was a new licensed Macrium user and was setting up my Rescue USB Flash and this device as the BackUp device through their program. We've hit the proverbial brick wall because no one seems to know what has happened to cause it to not be recognized by my desktop. I'm no pro at this stuff and I've learned that usually the problem is the nut behind the wheel. Ideas anyone?

2. whazzupdoc

whazzupdoc Registered Member

I need to add...that when I said no one seems to know what has happened...that in no way is meant to imply that the folks at Macrium didn't know their stuff. They were real professionals and exhausted every avenue trying to help me. I heartily recommend Macrium and their very detailed program.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have to ask as you haven't mentioned it....does your machine see a different flash drive when that is plugged in?

System restore or image back to before when it did work?

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Not sure I understood the OP. Tried all the USB ports?

5. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

If I'm correct about the type of drive you are talking about. I have one of these drives and they just lose integrity at the drop of a hat. I find that although my drive is hardly used I cannot rely on it.
    My friend has had two drives like this and both do exactly the same thing. You go to plug it in one day and (if Windows sees it at all), it will say. 'Do you want to format this drive?'

If you want to recover data from a drive like this that has become inaccessible.
    You could clone your drive from your Toshiba Satellite x86 (which does see it) to a completely different drive.

I have had success in the past reformating a drive in this condition that wasn't seen at all by Windows (which recreates the original structure) with something like BootIt Bare Metal or Bootit NG bootable cd to make the bad drive seen by Windows and then using a data recovery software on it to copy that 'invisible' data from the seemingly empty formatted drive to a drive that is safe.
    I don't know if this will work in all instances and formats but I have done it in the past to recover important data from a drive.

If you are doing any data recovery it is important to not mess about with the 'bad' drive prior to recovery or you will end up with broken files recovered.

My advice is that some of this type of drives are not stable, almost useless (and particularly for important drive backups) because you can't rely on them. They disappear without warning.

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Download USBdeview and run it in and admin account. Highlight any entry showing your Samsung Drive. Press the Red X to remove it. This will remove the driver. Reboot the computer and attach your Samsung.

7. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

@whazzupdoc
    plug in the external drive in your AMD, open the disk managment in windows and take a screen shot of the drives/partitions.Then post it here.

Either your external drive of windows is not recognized (could be a problem with the cable, connectors ,etc.) or there is a problem in the partition/s of the drive (e.g. you have 2 partitions with identical id's). It could also be that windows has removed the drive letter from the partition.

Panagiotis

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.