Backup on DVD - the best program?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by adam993, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Hello,
    I don't have enought space on my disk (only one) and I would like to create system backup (partition C:) and write its on DVD disk.
    Which application can I use? Is it possible to boot recovery cd (or usb stick) and recover system from prepared DVD?
    Now I'm testing Macrium Reflect Free. I have also Acronis True Image 2010 Home, but 'Aero-like' interface is very slow on Windows XP, so ATI's user interface is slow.

2. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Dunno if its the best but I currently use acronis trueimage 2011 for my backup dvds. It lets you put the recovery environment on the dvd with the data so booting and restoring is easy.

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

IMHO, the best imaging software that writes on DVD is Image for Windows. For Data files, it's Backup Platinum, no other solution comes close. Yes I know, it's a bit affirmative, but that's just the way I see it.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Don´t waste your time. Get an external USB disk.

6. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Best would be to have both ! IFW can for instance burn a set of DVD as a full backup, and the differential ones are made on an external HDD.

7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :) And the DVD is bootable so that you can do the restore with only the DVD that contains the Image.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I agree with the suggestion to use image for windows and I also agree with getting an external hard drive. external hard drives are cheap these days.
    its going to be hard to fit a system partition on to a dvd.

9. TheKid7

For the convenience of not having a lot of System Partition Image DVD's, I have been using Dual Layer DVD's so that I can get everything on one DL DVD.

Before Imaging to DVD, I do the following in order to minimize the size of my System Partition Image:

1. Run Windows XP DiskCleanup (including deleting all but the most recent Restore Point).
    2. Delete the Sun Java cache files.
    3. Make sure that any large downloaded files (i.e., CD/DVD Images, software installation files) have been moved to another hard drive partition or another hard drive.

Deleting all but the most recent Restore Point can free up as much as around 2 to 3 GB of uncompressed hard disk space.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@adam993, what operating system is on C:? and how much space is used?

11. TheKid7

I have three (3) Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit PC's. The following are the "approximate" Image for Windows Image file sizes (Standard Compression):

1. 4.8 GB
    2. 5.5 GB
    3. 7.1 GB

12. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

I have Windows XP SP3 with updates and most used programs (Office 2010, Delphi Turbo Explorer, Delphi 7), partition size is 25GB, 15GB in use.
    I would like to create image for clean system with updates and some applications (codecs, players, IM).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.