Backup of the antispam database

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by VMcS, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VMcS

VMcS Registered Member

Hello!

I want reinstall operation system (migration from MS Windows XP with ESET SSv3 to MS Windows7 with ESET SSv4), but I want to keep my antispam database. How I can backup this database and restore it after installing Windows 7?

In the FAQ and in the knowledge base where is information about backup and restore settings only.

WBR,
    Victor

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

possibly
    "..
    Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\ Username \Application Data\ESET\ESET Smart Security. Copy the ekrnSmonBL.dat
    .."

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

In addition to the blacklist, you should also copy the whitelist. See the following KB Solution for details:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1258699600619

Also, from what I remember of ESS when I was using it, I had to follow a three-step procedure in order to successfully restore the WL and BL from a backup.

1. Make sure the email client is not running then go into the ESS control panel and change the settings to turn off Antispam. This must be done first as turning off Antispam will cause ESS to write back to disk the versions of the WL and BL that it already has loaded in memory.

2. Copy the versions of the WL and BL to be restored back to their original location, overwriting any versions that exist there.

3. Go into the ESS control panel and change the settings to turn on Antispam. This will force ESS to read from disk the restored WL and BL and load them into memory. Open the email client and use the ESS toolbar to check that the WL and BL have been restored correctly.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  4. VMcS

VMcS Registered Member

Thank you for the answers!

I don't use the white and black lists, just a bayes antispam filter.
    I must backup only one file?
    BTW, in the same folder (..\Application Data\ESET\ESET Smart Security\) I have a subfolder \Antispam\ with the next list of files:

productid
    rkd
    sc1.bin.full.2009.10.30.02.15.03
    sc2.bin.full.2005.02.11.04.44.13
    sc5.bin.full.0000.00.00.00.00.00
    scoffset.bin.full
    scoffset.bin.incr
    scrh.bin.full
    scwh.bin.full

What are these files? I must backup these files too?

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I did wonder from your original post whether exporting and importing of the Bayesian database, holding all of the statistics and training information, was what you were really trying to do. I tried to do this when I was using ESS but I never managed to get it to work. Unfortunately, ESET doesn't provide any guidelines on how to do this.

Part of the problem may involve getting ESS back into a consistent state where it doesn't think its integrity has been violated by an unauthorised attempt to modify the software installation. In addition to files and folders, I would guess that the registry is also likely to be involved.

Unless an ESET moderator is prepared to tell you how to achieve this, I think you will just have to experiment to see if you can get this to work. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

6. VMcS

VMcS Registered Member

Thank you very much for your help! I will try to do this migration on the next week and I will add a comment to this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.