Backup of systemdisk WITHOUT ATI installed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by samohtrelhe, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samohtrelhe

samohtrelhe Registered Member

Hi
    Is it possible to make a distribution image to use on our tutor platform WITHOUT ATI in the image? We do NOT want ATI spread out on the student PC's.

(We are fully aware of the need for using sysprep etc.)

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Make the bootable Rescue CD, then uninstall the ATI software, then boot with the CD and create your Backup Image.

3. samohtrelhe

samohtrelhe Registered Member

Thanks!!

Does that mean that Acronis have full support for backing up from the CD/DVD?
    Because thats one of the main reasons I ditched Ghost 10.

Do you know: Does the boot CD support USB?
    And how about burning an Image directly to DVD? (That is, eject the boot CD, insert a DVD and burn the image

Also Ghost dosen't find ANY of my SATA disks on any of my three systems.
    2xAsus P4 dual and 1xAshrock Sempron... I just delivered Ghost back as non working :-(

4. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

I can answer one or two parts:

The CD Rescue disk supports USB. I have an external HDD via USB. However, the structure tree viewed as a result of booting with the Rescue disk may show the external drive under a different letter compared to Windows. That is because the Rescue disk uses Linux. But if you go further with the Wizard to setup the restore, the command line will show the proper letter of the selected external drive.

Note: With an external drive, power up the USB drive only after the Rescue disk displays the Acronis menu. Otherwise, the external drive confuses the boot process. And I would do the same for an external CD or DVD drive connected via USB.

Backing up to DVD can involved several disks. For that reason using CDs can be an exhausting exercise.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Many of your answers can best be determined by installing the trail version and see what problems are encountered.

1. You can perform a variety of functions from the bootable CD, including backups; image restores; cloning, etc.

2. Assign meaningful names to your internal drives and use the names for decision making within TrueImage. Ignore drive letters because they will/may differ since the CD is Linux.

3. My suggestion would be to try bootup using CD with the USB external pre-attached. TrueImage will find a variety of usb drives using this method. After bootup, look to see if your usb drives are displayed. If yes, then you can use the pre-attached method. If your usb drives are not recognized, then try booting as mentioned in the previous posting by mfabien.

4. You may have need for multiple licenses. Othe postings have covered the license issues.

5. I would strongly discourage any plans you have to burn your backups directly to DVD. Most likely,the process does work for some people but there has been enough postings to indicate this procedure is problematic--at best. Once the bugs are fixed, then maybe this could be a usable function but in my opinion, you should avoid burning direct to DVD. You can test the procedure and see if it works for you but be forewarned. Read some of the other postings on this issue. True Image works from a Ram Drive so there is no problem removing the boot CD from the tray and burning an blank media but the problem is reliability.

6. Using another internal or external drive is a much more secure and the most recommended procedure. For archival purposes or as a last resort, you could try burning your backups to DVD--using what is often referred to as the "2 step method". This procedure is to create your backup on another drive (or on "C" temporarily) and then use your burner software and simply burn a DVD data disc containing your backup files. During the process of creating the backup, you would need to invoke the TrueImage option of disk spanning and set the file size to 1492MB. This would create backup files so that multiple of 3 files can be copied onto each DVD.

Be sure you verify any backup made to either another drive or to DVD!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

A further comment to backing up directly to optical media. It will be an exceedingly slow process and if your Image needs more than one DVD, you will have to sit there to be able to feed the dvds when required. But if you require the additional security of having a backup on DVDs, then use the 2-step method. First backup to another hard drive (external or internal) then burn the image to DVDs using Nero or similar. Of course this requires that when making the image, that you specify slices small enough to fit on the dvd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.