Backup of MS Cluster Nodes

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jlphillips, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlphillips

jlphillips Registered Member

Is anyone successfully creating backups of MS cluster nodes when the disk resources are on the "other" node? Is there a way to have the backup process scan only the system disk? It appears it scans all the disks in device manager whether it is logically connected only. When this happens, the process displays a message it got a read error from a disk that is connected to the other node and sits there with a message box until the message is acknowledged. This prevents scheduling backup jobs for unattended operation. Is there something I have missed?

Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jlphillips,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Sever Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please be aware that Acronis True Image (server versions) cannot back up virtual server itself, but it can back up and restore physical nodes as usual Windows servers. If the iSCSI\fiber disk is managed by the node that is backed up then Acronis True Image is able to back up this disk. In case that this disk is offline Acronis True Image will not find it and will not back this disk up. So Acronis True Image (server versions) can back up nodes and virtual storage resources without any problems and there is no need to do any additional steps to back up a node within the cluster.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem you encounter?

- What operating system do you use?

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image do you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- Make a screen shot or provide the exact text of the message you receive;

- When does this message appear exactly?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. dholliman

dholliman Registered Member

jlphillips,
    Were you able to figure this out? We have a SQL and Exchange Cluster that I would like to image but run into the same problem. They are physical server, not VM's.

4. jlphillips

jlphillips Registered Member

I can't explain what resolved the problem. After I posted this we tried another cluster and it worked. I removed the agent from the "failing" cluster and reinstalled it. That server still failed. We upgraded ATI twice, I think, maybe three times, and now we have four clusters that we are backing up without this error. We are currently running build 3832. It seems to resolved several different problems we were experiencing at random. Each time we upgraded we did a removal and reinstall. We found that an upgrade in place did not seem to work properly. Therefore, each time we upgraded, we recreated the task scripts also. Sorry I can't be more definitive in my answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.