Backup of Large files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Fishdave, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishdave

Fishdave Registered Member

Ok- I have been trying to get help from the email support and it has been very slow. I respond to your emails and do not get a response. So I am going to try the Fourm. I have had problems backing up large files with true image 9.0 build 2302 as well as the previous build. I have done some testing and found out that it the file is 4.3 GB or larger the file backup feature hangs. I have tested individual files from 1 to 5.3 GB. Here is a summary of my test results.

1 to 4 GB file- Backup worked. Status bar showed 100% quickly and then took a few minutes to complete the backup. I did a 1.3 GB, 2 GB, 3 GB and 3.9 GB tests all worked

4.34 GB file- Backup fails. When the backup started it ran normal, and quickly went to 100% on the status bar, however the program did not complete the operation, even after 8 hours.

5.3 GB file- Backup fails with same results as the 4.34 test above.

Based on this data it is clear to me that your program can not backup files that are larger than 4.3 GB.

Again I running the latest build 2302 and have run check disk, whcih shows no errors.

I hope the Fourm gets me better support than the email support has. It seems to me that it is resonable to expect a response to my email within two business days, preferably one, but my experence is that Acronis is slower than this. The first email is within one business day, but all followups are much slower.

Please help.

David

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Where are you backing up the files to?

Are you backing up to a formatted DVD disk or a FAT32 formatted external or internal hard drive?

Are you using compression?

The file size limit of a DVD disk is 4.3GB and for a FAT32 formatted hard drive 4.0GB.

3. Fishdave

I am backing up to an internal hard disk in windows XP home. All my hard disks us the NTFS file system so the large file size is not a problem. I have been using the default settings so it is using the normal compression. These are video files or images of DVD's I have created.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Fishdave,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team? I will read all your letters and try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. GR8PIPES

GR8PIPES Registered Member

I've been having the exact same problem. I sent a support email [Acronis #395477] then thought I'd try looking in the forum.

I'm trying to backup Video files and some of them are larger than 4.0. I'm going to run a backup excluding those larger files as a test and see how it goes.

I've wasted far too much time already dealing with this so unless there is some form of resolution in the next two days I'm going to ask for a refund.

The bottom line is, if this product will not do what I bought it to do I'm going to want my money back. I'm very dissapointed.

6. GR8PIPES

PS: I'm using Acronis True Image version 9.0 (build 2,302) and I'm backing up to an internal hard drive on a WinXP SP2 machine, NTFS on all drives.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. There's no reason why a file larger than 4GB shouldn't backup to an NTFS internal drive, so you've found a terrible bug in TI 9 version 2302.

8. Fishdave

The support team is now sending me status emails. They are currently testing TI 9 for the issue.

Irina My support request number is 386007, Max is the support rep that has been contacting me. I will let you guys know what they tell me.

David

9. Acronis Support

Hello Fishdave and GR8PIPES,

I have traced your correspondences with Support Team. The problem was reproduced and reported to our Development Team and they are currently investigating it. We expect the fix will be implemented soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

10. Fishdave

I just recieved an Email from the support team and they indicate that they have put together a fix to this issue. They will be notifing me when the next build is issued with this fix incorporated.:D :D :D

David

11. GR8PIPES

As far as I'm concerned it's just too little too late. This is just one of many bugs in this software. As I see it, the software does not function as it should and I should get my money back. I guess they don't agree. You can be sure of one thing though. I'll never buy another product from them and I'll never miss an opportunity to tell my collegues and associates about the shoddy software they build. It's a true dissapointment and a shame. If I'm going to be used as a Beta Tester I ought to be paid for it.

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

There have been/are a number of problems with TI 9.0 (and previous versions) that were/is related to specific hardware. As it's virtually impossible for Acronis to test True Image against every conceivable PC hardware combination, I can understand why these problems arise.

However, users have found a relatively small number of problems (this latest being one of them) that most definitely are not hardware (or even third party software) related. Now THAT I find really hard to excuse.

Regards

13. Fishdave

The main reason I bought TI 9 was for the imaging capability. For this purpose TI has worked great as it did in previous versions. I like it better than Ghost because it is easier to use and less expensive. When I went to recently purchase TI I was happy to see that it now included file back capability as well. I was planning on buying another application for this but when I saw that TI 9 had it I thought great, this will save me some hard earned cash. Now I did find a bug in the software, and I believe that the customer support department could of responded to me more quickly, but it seems to me that they are working hard to correct the problem and are keeping me informed of there progress. I for one am now happy with the service I am getting and I believe TI 9 is a good product that will allow me to keep a good backup routine going that will allow me to quickly restore after a windows or hardware crash.

David

14. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Does anyone know if ver8 build 937 has this problem? Can anyone test this?

15. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

Version 8 didn't have file/folder backup.

16. Geto

Geto Registered Member

Example in Tivoli large files are backed up with sub-file feature. This means that with incremental backup, if file is changed then it dont copy complete file, but only that changed part. This feature is in use also with Storactive LiveBackup.

17. GR8PIPES

Well FishDave... I'm glad that you're happy and I'm happy you're glad. Really I am.

I DO understand that they are working on this issue but I still don't think it's acceptable to sell software with so many bugs. I don't know about the rest of you but the issue in this thread is not the only problem I'm having and certainly not the only issue other users are having.

I have a Dell XPS system with a P4 3.4 GH processor, 2GB of RAM, and [3] 300 GB hard drives. True Image runs 98% of my system resources when it's running and bogs me down. I wonder how they could explain that. No single application should hog that much resource. They have yet to give me an answer to that one.

Another small annoying issue [although not exactly a deal-breaker] is that the animated icon in the system tray that indicates that a backup is running will continue even after the backup is finished. It won't go away unless I reboot my computer. What point is there in a process indicator if it doesn't work and continues to tell you it's running long after it's finished? They've told me it's a known issue and will be fixed in the next build.

My third issue is that it errors out on individual files for no apparent reason. It will have no trouble one night but the next night it will error on a file and stop, waiting for me to decide whether I want it to try the file again or skip the file. That means that the backup that was supposed to be run during the night when I'm not using my computer did not complete and when I come back in the morning I either have to let it run and hog up my resources or cancel the backup. If I tell it to skip that file it will move on to the next file and error out on it as well. I can continue to choose skip on each file but it will continue to error out on all remaining files so there's really no choice but to cancel the backup. It's just not reliable.

I guess I'm off-topic for this thread and for that I apologize. I'm just curious to know if those in this thread are having only the one problem or other problems as well.

It would also be interesting to know how long we're going to have to wait for this fix. When they say soon, I wonder if they mean in a week, in a month, in several months?

Brian

18. Fishdave

Well GR8PIPES- I have not had all of the problems you seem to have with the software, but I do have at least one other one you mention. The indicator icon does keep showing that it is backing up when it indeed is not. I am not sure what the casue is, it seems to be inconsistent. I do not get the system bog down that you speek of and I am only running an AMD 2000+ with a gig of RAM. When I bought TI 9.0 I was only looking for an imaging program and the file backup was a bouns. I might still go to syncback SE for file backup, it is very reliable and only costs $25 for personal use on 5 different computers and they do have a freeware verson as well.

Hope they fix all of the errors and you become a happy customer. I do agree that they need to work as many bugs as possible out of a program before they release it, but I also know that no matter what a software developer does, there always will be issues found by users.

Again, hope all works out for you as well.

David

19. Acronis Support

Hello GR8PIPES,

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

The problem with a large file backup was resolved. We expect the new build with the fix to be released soon. If you have any problems with Acronis True Image 9.0 please let me know, we will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

20. Fishdave

I have not seen a new build yet. When is the expected date for this issue to be fixed?

21. Acronis Support

Hello Fishdave,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Our developers are still working on the latest build which we plan to release in the nearest future as soon as we finish testing it. We hope that the problem does not cause you much inconvenience in the meantime.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

22. Fishdave

So what is the nearest future. Is is a couple of days, a week, a month?

David

23. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

For crying out loud David (and others), pleeeaaassse don't pressure them to release it before it's properly tested!

It looks like the new build really will fix the vast majority of the outstanding problems - there have been several posts from people who have been given 2310 in advance of the build release, and they seem to be happy with it.

If they haven't released it yet, there must be a reason.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.