Backup Locations - how to backup one one PC and restore on another PC

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by randman, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randman

randman Registered Member

I am using a backup location to do a file (not image) backup. I configured my backup location to keep 8 backups. I configured a scheduled task to create a full backup after 6 differential backups. Thus, I should normally have a full backup, 6 differential backups, and a 2nd full backup.

What I like about backup locations is that you don't have to worry about file names. When you do a restore, you get a list of date/times so you can decide what date/time to base your restore on.

Suppose my PC stops working. Then, I need to take my external drive (which has the backup location) to a second PC. Now, I want to do a file restore on the second PC. The backup location on the external drive has 2 full backups and 6 differential backups. When I run restore on the 2nd PC, I would like to be able to get the same list of 8 date/times of when backups occurred, similar to the same list when doing a restore on the 1st PC where the backups were originally taken. For this to work, do I need to first define a backup location on the 2nd PC to point to the same folder in the external drive used by the 1st PC when it took the backups? I noticed that whenever you define a backup location, it creates a file named acronis_backup_place.cfg. If I define a backup location on the 2nd PC using the same folder where the 1st PC's backup location was defined, then the acronis_backup_place.cfg file would be overwritten. Any problem with that?

To summarize, my question is: if I backup files on one PC using a backup location, and I want to restore files on a second PC, should I define the backup location in the second PC? I know, I can theoretically not define backup locations on the 2nd PC and just manually pick specific *.tib files to restore from, but it's nice being able to look at a list of date/times when backups were taken as part of restore and not have to worry about file names (especially those automatically created by Acronis software, and especially since Acronis consolidation changes file date/timestamps). Is it possible that backup location information is stored by Acronis outside of backup locations (maybe in the registry)? Just want to know what issues to worry about if I want to do a file restore on a 2nd PC in which the backups were taken on another PC.

Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello randman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that you don't need to set a backup location to restore archives created into one.
    Please also notice that Acronis Backup Location settings are stored not only in the acronis_backup_place.cfg, but also in registry.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. randman

When I run restore and select a backup location, I get a window which has the list of available date/times when backup took place (see attached figure).

However, if I bring my external drive which contains the backup location to a new PC, the new PC does not know that the folder is a backup location. I know that I can restore files in the folder. However, I don't want to see the file names. I want to see the same date/times on the new PC as in the old PC. How do I do that? Do I just define the folder in the external drive as a backup location on my PC. Then, will I see the list of available date/times like in the attached figure?

EDIT: I couldn't figure out how to attach the figure. Basically the figure is the "Restore Data Wizard". On the left side of the window is a list of date/times when backups were executed against a backup location.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello randman,

Please notice that you will be presented with available date/times choices on the next screen of the Restore Data Wizard. The only difference of archive files created in the backup location of manualy created ones is automatic storage and naming management.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. randman

Thanks! Yes. I checked from a 2nd PC (the one that didn't create the backup to the backup location). The second PC doesn't have any backup locations defined. From the 2nd PC, I started to do a restore, and I verified that it doesn't matter which file in the folder I select. Once I go to the next window, I'm presented with a list of date/times. This is great! I guess all the information necessary is in the files, and there is nothing needed in the registry of the first PC.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.