Backup from External Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rockrz, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockrz

Rockrz Registered Member

I'm currently using version 8 (never needed to upgrade as this one works great!)

But, I can't seem to "see" my external drive where my backup file is when I'm in Acronis recovery mode.

Is it not possible to back up from an external drive?

2. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

An external drive is exactly what you should backup from ; I always do-9X since last Christmas . You have ot hook up the ext. drive FIRST or Acronis won't 'see it'. Good luck!:D

3. Rockrz

Rockrz Registered Member

I did have the external on and recognized by the system before I even opened up Acronis to try and restore.

This is strange, because I can do this on my Desktop, but not on my new Laptop for some reason.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Youe Laptop probably has the newer SATA type drive whereas the version 8 may not have the proper drivers for this new drive.

You may want to consider upgrading. Why not download the new v11 and install on the laptop..create the rescue CD and see if the rescue CD sees your new laptop drive.

5. Rockrz

Rockrz Registered Member

No, version 8 "sees" the hard drive in my laptop...that's not the issue.

The problem is, version 8 cannot "see" the external hard drive, which is where I have my Acronis backup file that I was going to use to restore my laptop.

I may have to buy Disk Director so I can make a partition on my laptop's hard drive...which would give me a place locally to access the Acronis backup file.

6. Rockrz

Rockrz Registered Member

So, does anyone know if the new version can see external drives, so you can access your Acronis backup file will in the Acronis recovery consoleo_O

7. como

como Registered Member

The chances are that the version 8 rescue disk does not have the drivers for your external drive, versions 9, 10 and 11 all recognised my external drive, although it is slow backing up. I use a BartPE disk and this backs up almost as quickly as in windows.
    If you do not want to download the trial version of TI 11 to see if it sees your external drive then consider building a Bart or Vista PE disk which will use the windows drivers.

8. Rockrz

Rockrz Registered Member

Yeah, it's my external drive that's the problem.

My desktop can see the external drive that I keep with my desktop...

So, I tested the external drive that I'm using with my laptop with my desktop, and it cannot be seen so it's the external drive I'm using.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rockrz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that Acronis True Image 8.0 is quite old version, and it's possible that it doesn't have necessary drivers for your particular controller.

Please make sure you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that as you use an older version of Acronis True Image you should press F11 button when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.

If the issue persists, we recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 11 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

Please notice that as you already own an older version of Acronis True Image, you will be able to purchase an upgrade installation package at a reduced price (as compared to independent installation package).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. Rockrz

Rockrz Registered Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm probably just going to see if I can find out what external drive controllers work best with Acronis.
    Does anyone know o_O

I like to buy my enclosures, and install my own hard drive.

I can see the external drives that I'm using with my Desktop so I should be able to get an external drive enclosure from the same company.

I'm not too excited about upgrading. I tried upgrading when you guys came out with version 9 and it wouldn't work and tech support wanted me to do all this testing and I just don'yt have time for all that.

That's why I wernt back to version 8 because it does exactly what I need it to do on my desktop. No need to upgrade at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.