Backup from DVD not working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cjscholten, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjscholten

cjscholten Registered Member

Hi,

I've created an image using TI 9 and burned to to DVD+R using CDBurnerXP Pro 3. It's just one DVD with the image, and the DVD has been finalised.

When I boot using the bootable cd and select the image on my DVD it gives an error saying "This is not the last created volume".

When I try recovering from the same archive in Windows, it gives no errors and proceeds.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using the latest version of TI (purchased and downloaded it yesterday).

Thanks

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Perhaps you have discovered yet another bug. Do you have another hard drive to copy the image to and then see if recovering via the boot CD will work?

3. cjscholten

I copied the image to another partition, and was able to restore it using the boot cd.

But this kind of defeats the purpose of being able to restore a crashed partition.
    What if all my partitions have been damaged and I can't copy the image?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

That is something to consider. But with large hard drives so inexpensive now, IMHO the better way to go is to get an external USB drive to keep image backups. And if you want extra security, burn those images to DVD media. Of course you will have to plan ahead and make the images in chunks that would fit on DVD media. TI will let you specify the size of the images and create as many pieces as necessary.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Have you tried other burning programs such as Nero or Roxio?. If the image is created on disk OK and then copied to DVD properly there shouldn't be a problem. I just did one yesterday with Nero but using DVD-R and splitting the image at about 1.4GB.

If you haven't done so, enable your burning software's Verify after Burning (or something like that). Also, run TI's Check Archive on the DVD as well.

6. cjscholten

The image was created on disk, and then copied to DVD. TI had checked the archive, and it was OK. Also, the DVD was verified after burning.

I can try it with Nero, but I doubt it will make a difference.

WIll try though :)

7. seekforever

Given your verfications, I also doubt Nero will make any difference but computers are strange beasts.

If there is more than one image file, they are all in the same folder or root of the disk aren't they? Apparently this can be a problem but given what you've done I'm grasping at straws.

8. cjscholten

It's just one image file, in the root of the DVD. It's the only file on the disc, with no folders or other stuff.

I guess I'll just buy an external HDD, but it's a bit less compact than a singe DVD. :) (Or two, boot disc included :p )

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cjscholten,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that you should use the UDF-formatted DVD disks for image storing, because Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media cannot restore images from a non-UDF-formatted disks.

If you have copied the image onto a DVD which was not UDF-formatted then Acronis Bootable Rescue CD will be not able to restore this image from there.

Please also take a look at this FAQ article.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Kirill,

My understanding of the FAQ article you refer to has always been that UDF formatting was only needed in direct writing. In connection with the two-step method, UDF or Drag-to-Disk are not mentioned.

I now find myself with quite a number of "milestone" images that I copied from the hard disk to DVD+R by means of Roxio's classic Copy Files to Disk tool. Some of the DVDs are finalized, some are not. In the rescue environment, the files show as nameless icons in the tree, but when I click on any of the icons the details of the image files are shown correctly in the right pane and in the filename line below. I can perform Check Archive and even select the image files as restore source in the Recovery Wizard and step the wizard as far as Proceed.

Does your above statement mean that in spite of what I describe here, my images won't restore from DVD within rescue environment? Should I copy them back to HD and burn new DVDs with Drag-to-Disk? And what about finalizing?

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello bVolk,

I'm always reluctant to challenge Acronis Support's statements but I feel this is one of those rare occassions.

I too have saved many images to DVD, both "directly" using InCD as the UDF packet writer and via the "two-step" method using Nero Burning ROM. When using the two-step method, the .tib files can be burnt to blank, unformatted DVDs (+ or -R/RW), either as DVD-ROM (ISO) compilations or DVD-ROM (UDF) compilations. The former has a 2GB individual file size limitation whilst the latter's file size is only limited by the space available on the disk. Although, for hardware compatability reasons, I always burn my DVDs as "Single Session" (i.e. "Finalized") compilations, I do believe you can burn them as multi-session (unfinalized) disks provided you then don't add further sessions.

Regarding the "nameless icons" you mentioned - what Version/Build of TI are you using? Some versions/builds had a problem displaying the image file names on removable media (this should now be fixed). When you get to the nameless icon screen in the TI Wizard, try returning to the previous screen by clicking "Back" and then clicking "Next" to move forward again. You may well find that the file names are then correctly displayed against the icons.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  12. seekforever

Nameless icons:

I was just about to fire off a reply saying that they definitely happen in build 2337 but caution overtook and I checked my box of "various recovery CDs". On the top was build 2323 so in my case, I may have been using 2323.

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for your help in clearing this out. Kirill's statement really put me off balance.

As an avid reader of this excellent forum I'm on build 2337, of course. I went to try the "nameless icons" item at once, and indeed, that small amount of rocking you suggested did the trick. The missing filenames in the tree are no hindrance in use, really, but they make one doubt if the files are usable at all.

Thanks again.

14. Menorcaman

Well, it seems that either the "bug" wasn't fixed properly or it crept back in without anyone noticing (myself included :oops:).

I've just carried out further testing using TI 8 Build 937, TI 9 Build 2323 and TI 9 Build 2337, using DVD images created either "directly" via INCD or via the "two-step" method, both as a Nero DVD-ROM (ISO) compilation and as a Nero DVD-ROM (UDF) compilation. In all cases, the first DVD access after booting into the rescue mode resulted in "nameless icons".

The individual file names can be displayed by clicking either "Back" followed by "Next", collapsing and then expanding the CD/DVD drive tree or cancelling the operation and restarting it. From then on the individual file names are displayed correctly, even on subsequent disk changes.

It'll be interesting to see what Acronis Support have to say about this.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  15. Acronis Support

Hello cjscholten and bVolk,

Please accept our apologies for our previous reply. Kirill was not correct, since there is no need to format DVDs into UDF in order to burn your images to these DVDs using so-called "two-step" method. As it is pointed in the respective FAQ article #27, UDF formatting is required only in case you plan to write images to DVD "directly". We are really sorry for misleading you and will certainly take the appropriate measures in order to avoid such incorrect replies in the future.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  16. Acronis Support

Hello bVolk and Menorcaman,

Your valuable remarks are very much appreciated. I have forwarded this information to our Testing Team. We will inform you about the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with the response.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

17. Acronis Support

Hello bVolk and Menorcaman,

I've just been contacted by the respective person from our Testing Team and he assured me that this issue is known already. It therefore will be fixed in the future builds of a particular product. I'm afraid that the exact time frame for the fix to be implemented is not decided yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

18. Menorcaman

Thank you for that Alexey.

Best regards

19. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Alexey,

I must admit I only gained from the discussion that followed :)
    I might not be the only one.

Thinking positive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.