Backup failures with message: “C0064006C: Incremental backup is not possible"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tomcat_999, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomcat_999

tomcat_999 Registered Member

I have Acronis True Image Home 10 installed on my computer which runs under Windows Vista Home Edition.

Once every week, I perform a full DISK backup, followed by a daily (scheduled) incremental backup on each of the subsequent 6 days of the week. Initially, these incremental backups run without any problems, but at some point during practically EVERY week, Acronis suddenly refuses to run the incremental backup and displays the following message:

"The file you have chosen is not the Acronis True Image backup, or the file is corrupted, or this is not the last volume of multi-volume archive.”

However, whenever I then inspect the relevant backup archives, I always find that the initial full backup as well as all the subsequent incremental backups are present, and are all 100% correctly named (with all file names containing the correct incremental numeric suffixes).

This state of affairs has led me to the conclusion that some or all of the backup files, although correctly created during previous backup operations, may have subsequently become corrupted To “test” this conclusion, I attempted to perform a restore operation from each of the existing backup archives (including the initial full backup). As expected, Acronis refused to run each and every one of these restore processes and consistently reported the following error:

“E0004000D: The file is corrupted. A possible reason may be poor media quality.”

The following additional information may be helpful:

1) I back up to a less than 1-year old external Iomega hard drive which has never malfunctioned in any way. I am not aware of any files stored on it having ever become corrupted or unreadable, and I have therefore no reasons to suspect that poor media quality is the cause of the issue in question.

2) The backup files which Acronis deems “corrupted” can still be opened without any difficulties and manually “explored” using Windows Explorer.

3) I also perform daily incremental DATA backups to the same external hard drive, and these operations have never failed.

4) I have run “Error-Checking” (with automatic error correction) on both the external hard drive that I am backing up to and the backed up local hard drive itself (using Properties > Tools > Check now...), yet the backup failures keep recurring.

Has anyone experienced similar problems and then managed to discover the cause?

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tomcat_999,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Have you validated the archive by means of the Backup Archive Validation Wizard? If not, please do it and check the results. If this wizard detects the archive corruption, please follow the steps described at the article Troubleshooting Issues with Corrupt Backups to find the reason and fix the issue.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. tomcat_999

Oleg, many thanks for your response.

In answer to your question: no, I have never used the Backup Archive Validation Wizard, but I will certainly do so the next time an incremental backup fails again (which I know is only going to be a matter of days).

Thank you again for your help. I appreciate it.

Hans

4. Acronis Support

Hello tomcat_999,

Please also note that Validation option can be set to automatic in Tools -> Options -> Default Backup Options -> Additional Settings. The program will validate each backup right after its creation.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

5. tomcat_999

Hi Alexander,

Many thanks for this additional tip.

Subsequent to receiving Oleg Lee’s advice, I did actually discover the availability of this option myself, and I have meanwhile selected it. I should however point out that the numerous incremental backup failures that I have been experiencing always occurred right at the start of the scheduled backup process (with error “C0064006C: Incremental backup is not possible”). This means that at the point when the the backup job aborts, there is no new incremental backup file yet for the software to validate. It will therefore be interesting to see if any archive integrity problems will be identified already during the validation of the PREVIOUS backup, and if the software will at that stage provide a meaningful explanation as to what precisely went wrong.

Thanks again for your valuable assistance.

Hans

6. Acronis Support

Hello Hans,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please keep us in touch, we should be sure that the program doesn't bother you.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.