Backup Fails for Individual Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nemesisdb, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nemesisdb

nemesisdb Registered Member

I have several machines running the latest version of TI 9 Home. They all work fine with one exception -- on an HP M7167C. On this computer there are two partitions on the C drive. The main partition and a smaller, recovery partition.

I don't want to backup the recovery partition. When I attempt to only backup a single partition (via a backup or via a scheduled task), the process never gets past 0% -- cancelling the task is not possible. When I backup the entire drive, everything goes fine.

I've reinstalled the software. Any advice would be great. Backups are going to an internal drive on another machine -- transfers to the same location work fine.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Although it does backup the whole drive, I would still try running chkdsk c: /r probably not a bad idea to do the other partition as well.

3. nemesisdb

I ran a chkdsk c: /v /f without issue. I may try the bad sectors later, though I've never had any stability problems and the backups have always worked fine for the drive as a whole.

Can I use chkdsk on the hidden partition that doesn't have a drive letter? though I expect the result to be the same (and it isn't even included in the backup that is failing).

I at least wish it would throw an error message. 25 minutes and it's still just sitting at 0% (with no network or CPU activity to speak of). May let it go overnight and see if anything happens.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nemesisdb,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please create also Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. nemesisdb

I will collect that information and submit it. From what I can tell, it appears to never get past locking the partition -- if that suggests any immediate troubleshooting steps.

6. gerdheinrichs

gerdheinrichs Registered Member

I am having much the same problem on an HP machine the first disk is partitioned by HP to a C-drive with windows etc all on it and the D drive is the HP recovery data.

Backing up the C-drive hangs FOREVER with log message that IT is locking the cdrive. Tried for the total disk of C & D (BTW - D is the first drive th way HP has defined things) it backed up D drive no problem, then again hung in locking the C-drive.

7. nemesisdb

Sadly acronis support was useless on this one. They just kept asking me for the same information. I would send what they wanted and then they would ask me for something different. I would do that and then they would ask me for the original info again. All the while they would tell me to stop programs and other services when it was clearly their software that was at fault (given that every previous build up to the last 3 worked perfectly).

fortunately for me I needed to switch OSs anyway (MCE to Pro) and things work fine now. acronis is nice software when it works -- but you're in serious trouble if you ever have issues.

8. Acronis Support

Hello gerdheinrichs,

Please make sure that you use the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If the problem persists with the latest build, please create the bootable rescue media, try to create an image in rescue mode and see whether the problem still remains.

If the problem still persists, please provide the information requested in the post #4.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I had a similar issue with build 3633 on my HP DX6120 desktop, that worked normally with every previous build since 2289 (October 2005). I have no hidden HP partition on my system disk.

In my case, TI would shut down after my selecting partition C: to be imaged, reporting a problem with ntdll.dll. I couldn't create an image of C:, TI just kept bailing out. That was happening from Windows XP Pro PS2 - it did work from the rescue environment.

Considering that the new direct writing to DVD feature is buggy too, I just reverted to build 3567 to wait for the next build from there.

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

THe recovery partition is a separate partition that has nothing to do with the MSFT file systems.

Does not the PC manufacturer supply software than can be used to test/reset the "recovery" partition?

11. Acronis Support

Hello bVolk,

Please do the following in order to enable mini-dumps:

- Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties";
    - Go to "Advanced" tab;
    - Go to "Startup" and "Recover Settings";
    - Choose "Small memory dump" in "Write debugging information" box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Now, please reproduce the problem and send us the mini-dumps created. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Please also do the following:

- Press the Start button, choose Run, type "drwtsn32" and press Enter;

- In the dialog that appears check the Log File and Crash Dump paths, then press the OK button;

- Run Acronis True Image and reproduce the problem;

- Pick up the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log files in the directory specified at step 2;

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

12. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Thank you Tatyana,

I'm back with my "ex" (3567) and we love each other more then ever. :D

But I'll print your instructions down, to be prepared should the next build happen to hate me again.

My best wishes to Acronis and you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.