Backup DVD's are NO GOOD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dirtnapper, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Registered Member

Well another shock..having just built a new system with XP Pro I now find that the two full backups of data that I have are either not ATI or corrupt as the message tells me! I have 30 DVD's of data, this data does not reside on the OS HD, it is on another HD. I just wanted to verify the backups and this is what I got as a message! These backups were done in Jan '07 on my old system with W2K Pro and the same ATI Home, ver. 10. I am just thankful that I did not loose the data HD, I would be up the creek without a paddle. I looked at the DVD's and they all have a "tib" file. So far this program is absolutely useless.:thumbd: :ouch: Anyone got any ideas? AM I doing something wrong?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Did you do the backup by having True Image put the backup on the dvd directly or did you use the 2-step method? Try putting all backup files on a hard drive and do the restore from the hard drive.

By data do you mean data files resulting from applications or are you including the Operating System as well?

3. Dirtnapper

The backups include only data, no proggrams. I just went through all disks that I made using ATI...and the message is the same for everyone! I tried making just a backup of a few files on a new DVD, same. The multi disk backups are done to another HD, I later go back and burn them to DVD. I was just about to try copying a back to the HD and see if that works as you suggested... I'll post the results ASAP. Thanks.

4. DwnNdrty

I like to backup my data files in native format so I use Windows Explorer to copy them to another drive. If you're familiar with Dos, you can also use the XCopy command and with the right switches you can make a batch file to copy your folders initially and subsequently only changed files. Some users also like Karen's Replicator but I haven't tried it. Just for the heck of it I consulted my Google Gods for the string "backup native format" and it came up with an interesting piece of software that will backup to optical media (fully functional and 100% free). I suggest you do the same. :cool:

5. Dirtnapper

This is very strange....I just tried to copy some of the backup disks to the HD... the system crashes...a disk get down to about 10 seconds...everything freezes! I tried copying a couple of other disks, XP Pro, etc and they worked, but I can not copy the disk that have ATI backups. Does this make sense? I am totally lost.

6. DwnNdrty

I would suspect that somehow the Acronis installed software "has its sticky fingers" on the backup file. See if you can do it in Safe Mode. Otherwise you will have to use something like a BartPE cd to do the copy over to the hard drive.

7. Dirtnapper

I was about to try the Safe Mode as suggested, however, it is going to take more than an hour to copy just one dvd, I have 2 for this trial. This seems like a very long time to copy a dvd on a system with XP Pro, duo core processor with a Raptor HD. I will have to wait and try this later when I have more time, and my laptop is availble to use while this is trying to copy the dvd's. In the meantime, I went out and got a WD MY BOOK, and I am going to do a full back without splitting the files to see what happens this afternoon.

8. sWiZzLe

sWiZzLe Registered Member

Can i recommend you try using CDRoller 6 to recover the image.

9. Dirtnapper

I tried CD Roller, dvd's are reable; so, the dvd's are good? I did make a full backup to MY BOOK of all data, no file splitting, and it verified. I might try a small system backup with file splitting, then burn them to dvd to see if the disks still come out with a problem again. I am just uncertain about the reliability of ATI, I just got this in Jan. and so far all backups up to this last one are useless.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  10. Dirtnapper

Update: I made a full system backup to the HD using split archive so I could copy it to DVD. I did a validation and it was ok. I copied to DVD, ATI could not read the DVD; it said it was not an ATI or corrupt. I copied the two disks back to the HD; and I was able to validate them. It seems copying them does something. Yet, I copied some data, pics etc. to a dvd, and did not have an issue, ATI has a problem with the images once they are on DVD it appears.

11. DwnNdrty

If you did the original backup to the HD, then even if you burn them to DVD, you have to put them back on a HD for ATI to recognize them. However, it is still a good idea to burn them to dvd (after the backup to an HD) for extra security.

What build number of True Image 10 are you using?

12. Dirtnapper

Build 4942. I will try and get to coping the 15 disk set and see how that goes. I did not know that all disk had to be copied over to HD before ATI could work with them. My other backup software could work with disk backups that spanned multiple disks, they did not need to be copied back to hd first. I like having two copies of a backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.