Backup does not reserve space on drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by djxtreme, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djxtreme

djxtreme Registered Member

When creating a backup of a drive, T.I. SHOULD reserve space on the destination drive. Since it has already calculated the necessary space, why not reserve the space on the destination drive? I had a backup running for hours, and returned in the morning to see there was not enough space on the destination drive.

Why not check for available space before beginning the backup, and actually reserve the space so there won't be a problem later?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

TI can only guess at the space needed until it actually does the compression.
    What if it guesses and reserves 15 GB but winds up needing 17 GB? What if it guesses 15 GB, needs 17 GB and there is only 16 GB free?
    Should it always reserve X% more than it thinks it will need? What if X% more is really more than will be needed, but less than the available free space?
    I think you always run the risk of running out of space or TI thinking there’s not enough space when there really is.

3. beckygb

beckygb Registered Member

If you have previously done any TI backups you should have an idea how much space you will need. Also a look at the compression level will give you an estimate. In my case it usually guesses slightly high

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

By the way, this has to be one of the most flawed and biased set of responses I’ve ever seen in a poll.
    “Yes of course …” :rolleyes: o_O :D

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

As I am a renegade and use the Secure Zone on an internal Slave drive my answer has to be NO as there is no problem. Image management is automatic.

Xpilot

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

As others have said, TI cannot know how much space will be needed due to compression uncertainty, and files being aadded/deleted/modified while the backup is running.

Hopefully, you are backing up to a drive that is only used for backup, so ypu can quickly tell. in advance whether there might be a problem.

As I backup using both Ghost and TI, i have to delete the previous backup before running TI, otherwise it won't fit due to GHost being on the same drive.

On my 160GB and 200GB drives, no such problem, yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.