Backup and restore entire Hard drive using Acronis TI 10.0 On Windows XP

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MohammadAli, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MohammadAli

MohammadAli Registered Member

Hello:

I just installed Acronis True Image 10.0 on my PC with Win XP Pro.

Since I am new to Acronis, How can I achieve the following:

(1) Backup current hard drive (Including OS) to an external drive.

(2) Then, reformat current drive and install OS on it. The reason I want to do this is to test the CD given to me by the shop where I bought my PC.

(3) Once OS is installed successfully, I would like to restore by choice

(4) If OS is not installed successfully, restore the system from back up.

Thanks in advance for your help,

<<< Ali >>>

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Create the bootable Rescue CD from the menu in the installed True Image software. This cd has the basic Backup, Recover, and Clone functions. So after you backup your system to the external, to Restore it, you will boot with the CD and Recover (as Acronis calls it) the Image from your external to the hard drive.

Before you erase your drive though, be sure that when you boot with the CD that it can see your External drive and the Image stored on it. So Boot with the cd and go through the motions for Recovery right up to where there is a Proceed button - stop there otherwise you will start the Recovery.

3. MohammadAli

MohammadAli Registered Member

Hello Ralphie:

Thanks for the quick reply. The only instruction I am unable to understand is

"stop there otherwise you will start the Recovery". If I am booting from CD, I would want to Recover?

Sorry, I am new to this .... Please excuse my ignorance ...

<<< Ali >>>

4. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi MahomadAli,
    What Ralphie meant by ''stop there otherwise you will start the Recovery'' is don't go beyond that step when trying/checking your bootable Rescue CD.

On the other hand, if you really want to restore your OS, then you go beyond that final step.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

Ali,

I would suggest that you test the shop's CD by installing on a new/different drive than the one that is currently in your PC. In fact, after you create a full image backup of your existing hard drive to the external drive, why don't you replace the existing hard drive with a new one and first attempt a restore of the image to the new hard drive (thus following through with "Proceed" from Ralphie's post). Assuming that works, then wipe out the new drive and validate the shop's CD. You really shouldn't alter your existing hard drive until you've validated the Acronis restore (and validated the shop's CD, per your intent).

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.